Chapter Twenty-Three

"I'm so sick of this fake love"

---

Two days had passed after the doomed text on Jungkook's phone. I had chosen not to openly confront him about it, after all, if I did so, I would have to explain how I even knew about it in the first place.

Secondly, I wanted to trust him. I wanted to believe that he wouldn't betray me like that, not after everything we had been through. Jungkook could be accused of a lot of things, but I refused to believe that he would step so low.

His care towards me made me give him the benefit of the doubt, choosing to have faith in the man who cared for me so thoughtfully in the last days. Opting for trust instead of accusation.

That's why I had not said anything for two days. Why I had simply pushed it to the back of my mind and willed my brain to forget it.

But today was Thursday, and all my concerns had come back tumbling.

Jungkook had left for work today, the newly admitted maid entrusted of taking care of the penthouse and me. Jungkook's plan of staying home everyday had failed majorly, but he refused to give in so easily.

Instead of taking my father's orders of just going back to the office and complying with my mother's plan, he made an arrangement where he stayed home on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and went it on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

On those days, I had a babysitter.

Last Tuesday, the day of the text, he hadn't had any important meetings, so instead of following the plan, he just called in sick. And I didn't even have to beg him or call my brother myself.

All because he wanted to stay with me.

I couldn't believe all of it was fake. A lie.

It couldn't be.

But at the same time, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about it. He had agreed to meet her. Why? Did he want her still? Would he ultimately end things with her? If he did, would she accept it and let him go? Would she tempt him into not leaving? Would he surrender to her?

I shook my head in frustration, closing the laptop and pushing it away from me on the couch cushions. I needed to do something, at least to ease the nagging in my head. I was starting to get a headache from it.

I eyed my phone on top of the coffee table as Mrs. Kim moved into the kitchen, most likely preparing my lunch. The device sat peacefully in front of me, not threatening in any manner.

If I picked it up very slowly, would it bite me?

Grumbling in annoyance, I reached for the smartphone. Unlocking it, I found Jungkook's contact among the others and stared at it. My finger hovering on top of the screen, doubtfully.

What would I say anyway? "Hey, I know you have a date with your former mistress tonight? Is she really your ex or are you back with her? What am I to you?".

Do I even mean anything ?!

Do I want to know ?!

Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I finally pressed the call button. It ringed twice before the deep sweet voice resonated on the other side of the line.

- Hey, beautiful.

- Hi. – I answered, lowly. His words erasing my fears for a second.

There was someone talking in the background, the sound of footsteps and then a door closed. He had most likely walked back into his office and enclosed himself in there.