26

"What books are we going to read?"

Elijah asked as he took a bite of his green apple. Rachel grabbed her bag and pulled out a book she wanted to read for the summer before showing it to him. They were sitting in his bedroom. They placed many pillows on the floor and decided to read there. At first Rachel had the idea of going to the park but since Elijah doesn't like parks, they decided to start their reading journey in his mansion.

"The Martyr Of The Catacombs. I wanted to read this book since March but didn't have the time to. What do you think?" Rachel asked with a smile as she handed it to him.

Observing the book, he sighed before raising his head back up to meet her.

He remembered his last conversation with his father and realized that they truly didn't have much time. He wanted to tell her that in less than a month he was going to leave the country. He wanted to let her know because she had the right to; but he also didn't want to hurt her in any kind of away so he preferred to stay quiet, for now.

"What if we only read one book this summer?" He said before placing the book behind him.

Confused at his words, she gave him a questioning look, waiting for him to explain.

Standing up, Elijah walked to his desk before searching for the book he was talking about, when he found it, he walked back to his place next to Rachel before showing her the book.

"What if we only read the Bible this summer?" He suggested with a smile plastered on his face.

Surprised at his proposition, happiness rose inside her knowing that Elijah was more and more thirsty and hungry for the word of God. He was curious to know more, curious to get to know the author better and that made her more than happy.

Sighing in content, she replied without hesitation, "That's such a wonderful idea!" She pulled out her own Bible before placing in on her thigh.

"Perfect." Elijah said before opening his Bible. "Do you want to pray before reading or you want me to do it?" He asked suddenly.

"I'll give you the honor to do it." She replied before closing her eyes as she waited for his prayer to rise.

"Dear father, we are coming to you today because we want to, we have this strong desire in us to know you better and that, by reading your holy word; and we know that understanding your word is a grace that comes from you alone because I remember reading this verse that said: without you we can't do anything. So please reveal your word to us and change us so that we can look more like you. Also talk to me personally and tell me what you want me to do, to get closer to you the way Rachel is. I want to experiment this happiness I always see inside her eyes. I want to have a relationship with you. Please forgive our sins also. Amen."

"Amen," Rachel whispered with him before opening her eyes to meet his blue ones already starring at her.

She was surprise to hear such strong and powerful prayers coming out of Elijah's mouth, and she knew that he has been reading his Bible just by hearing his prayer and that made her more than happy.