~Prologue~

January 5th 2007.

———————————

"Get in! Get in now!!" He screamed and pushed us in the house. He immediately shut the door and locked it.

"Take the kid upstairs! and stay there till I say you can come!" He ordered my mom.
One look at his eyes and I could see fear. I had never seen him so afraid. All his life he remained fearless. But today was different.

"Go now!!" He screamed at us. My mom hesitated no more. She grabbed me and lifted me to her chest. I could feel her heart beat so fast.

She looked back at my dad who held his pistol in his right hand, and came back to kiss him.

"Kate go." He said once again. He looked so afraid.

She quickly run up the stairs, looking backwards every few steps up.

Once we got upstairs she took me straight into her room, locked the door behind us and went straight for her closet. We hid in it and closed it.

She pressed me tight against her breasts and I could hear her heartbeat beating faster and faster.

"Mommy?" I called in a scared little voice, looking up to her. She looked down at me with her hazel blue eyes. They were watering.

"I'm scared!" I completed my sentence. She hugged me tighter and rocked me slightly.

"Don't worry hunny. Everything will be okay. You don't have to be scared." She whispered to me and kissed my forehead. Her lips quivered with fear and so was her entire body.

She was wet with sweat. Her brunette hair was looking all messy. We stayed silent waiting for daddy to call us out. I looked up at my mom once again and she looked back at me with a sweet smile, that told me all was going to be alright.

BANG!!!! Dad's pistol sounded from downstairs which made us both jerk. We could hear loud growls and sounds of breaking furniture from below as a couple more of the gunshots sounded.

"Come and get me you demons!!!" Dad's voice came in from below.

BANG!  BANG!!  BANG!!! A couple more of gunshots were heard just before a great scream of pain from Dad sent chills down my spine.

Suddenly, all went silent. There was no sound of movement apart from the mass sound of vigorous chewing and munching.

I looked once again at my moms face and tears rolled down her eyes. She hugged me tighter than before until I felt I was choking.

Just then someone entered the room. Through the dark tinted glass doors of the closet, I could make out a man in dirty, tattered, blood stained blue polo shirt and a blue jeans trouser that looked just as ruined as the shirt he wore.

His black hair was all dirty and messy, his nails were long and dark and his feet were bare.

He slowly entered the room, growling like a wild animal as he threw his eyes wildly around the room.

After a minute of survey, he took further wobbly steps into the room and walked right past the closet and out of sight, heading for the kitchen. It's mouth and hands were covered in fresh blood.

What I didn't understand was, he had a huge wound on his neck that looked like a bite. It was so big I could literally see his veins. He should be dead by now I thought to myself.

"Shhhh" my mom whispered to me, signaling me to stay quiet with her right index finger on her lips.

She then grabbed a baseball bat that leaned on the wood at her right, and slowly opened the glass door enough for her head to fit.