Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

The more you show your feelings, the more people can find ways to hurt you.
______________________________________________

Grace watched as Shepherd and Addison exchanged words, when it seemed to be coming to an end she moved closer, catching Addison's eye as she walked away from Shepherd.

'Grace.' Addison said with a wide smile.

'Addison,' Grace easily returned the hug offered, ignoring the glare aimed at her by Shepherd. 'Glad to see your plane arrived safely.'

Addison glanced back and saw the look aimed their way. 'Show me the way to Richard?'

'Sure, nothing better to do anyway.' Grace linked arms with Addison and they headed towards the elevator. 'You do like to make an entrance, don't you?'

'I just took advantage of the opportunity.' Addison looked her over, lingering on her hands. 'You look a little…stressed.'

Grace smiled slightly. 'Richard just had surgery – he's fine.' She said quickly, when Addison looked concerned. 'A tumour on the optic nerve. Shepherd took care of it, but…you know what I'm like.'

Addison nodded. 'So…you never mentioned her.'

This was said casually as they entered the elevator, but Grace saw past that.

'So not getting involved. I know why he left New York, Addie, I know what led to that and I knew you'd eventually come here. The TTTS just made it happen sooner. And the intern, she didn't know about you. She didn't even know he was married.'

Addison made a noise but didn't speak.

'Don't punish her Addie, don't put her in the middle.'

The red head sighed. 'I wasn't going to, Gracie. I just…I want him back.'

'I know.'

'Do you think I can?'

Grace chuckled. 'I know it's not what you want to hear but you know where I stand in this. If I was going to get involved, I'd tell you to go back to New York and enjoy what you had there – '

'Even though you're in love with him?'

Grace didn't speak as they exited the elevator.

'I shouldn't have –

'No,' Grace said quietly. 'I pretty sure that Mark and Shepherd are the only ones who don't know.' She stopped and pointed down the hall. 'He's just down there. I'm gonna head home, tell him I'll be by in the morning. I'll introduce you to the TTTS patient then.
____________________________________________

Grace was about to step off the elevator at the ground level again when Shepherd walked in, blocking her way out. She gritted her teeth but let him do what he wanted, which was pull the stop button just after the elevator started.

'You told her.' Shepherd said accusingly, glaring at her.

'Actually, beyond commenting on how long it had taken you to realise I was in Seattle, you were never mentioned when I talked to Addy. I certainly didn't tell her about Meredith.' Grace crossed her arms to try and hide the muscles that were starting to tense. 'Besides, I'm not on her side either.'