Three

I was lucky enough to not dream last night, but was extremely unlucky to be woken up super early this morning.
I watched as Adam paced from one end of the room to another. He was organizing and trying to start getting my wardrobe ready.
"So Annabeth I need you to do a style test." He handed me an iPad. "From here we will determine what your style is and make 3 dresses at each competition for you to chose from." He said as he sat in the chair waiting for me.
I clicked on the menu of the screen going from one page to the next. I picked out outfits I preferred and styles, along with colors. Like jumpsuits, ballgowns, and shoes. My preferred color was definitely a dark red or black.
My preferred dress was a tight fitted dress. And shoes would be boots or high heels.
Jewelry, I like dark but not bulky. After taking this test the only thing I know they have determined from me was that I am a picky girl.
"Here you go." I said handing the tablet back to him.
"Good, we have a welcoming ball tonight. So someone will be in to get you ready." He said and with that he left.
A ball. Really? Is that necessary.
Suddenly another person barged in on me, making me jump. "I didn't mean to startle you ma'am." The little blonde girl bowed. "My name is Hazel. I am your personal maid. I will follow you and help with anything you need help with. Also, I am to inform you that we have ball tonight and everyone is supposed to attend the dancing lessons at 9am sharp." She nodded feeling accomplished with herself for remembering all of that. I could tell that this could possibly be her first job. She has a newness about her.
I got up and stretched, "Okay. Can I have breakfast?"
"Oh! Yes ma'am. What would you like?" She smiled at me. "Just coffee. That should be a good breakfast."
"Oh.. how would you like your coffee."
"Black." I said. I heard the door shut behind me and i went to the closet. I opened it noticing that the iPad had a selection already drawn up for me. There was a note on it for me,
All girls are meant to wear the same thing for lessons. So when you have something scheduled the iPad will bring your outfit out for you an hour prior to your scheduled lesson. You must be at each lesson 5 minutes early. Let's remember that these things matter in the eyes of the royals.
Best regards,
Adam.
I rolled my eyes as I read that last sentence. Of course it is. Everything is watched, I'm surprised they don't tally mark everytime one of us farts. Honestly, it's annoying.
I clicked on the outfit and it was simple red flowy dress. I looked at the iPad again and it showed a girl with the dress on and her hair up, with no makeup. I assume this is the look they want me to wear.
I followed the girl and put my hair up as best as possible.
"Ma'am?" I jumped at hazels voice. I turned to see her standing there with a cup of coffee. I looked up at the clock and noticed that it was 15 till. "I'm sorry Hazel, I forgot. It might be best if I leave?"
"Of course!" She smiled at me. We stepped out and she led me to the ballroom we would be practicing in. As I stepped in I noticed camera guys everywhere. Of course this will be on tv. All the girls in our group was dressed in red dresses, the others were dressed in blue, black, pink, and an ugly green color.
I noticed a lot of the girls had their hair up and down, most of them had makeup on and some had no makeup. No one looked like me. Maybe I was the only one meant to have this look?
Ms. Beth cleared her throat, "Ladies! Welcome to your first lesson of the season. If you notice each section has a different color. That's so we don't get you all mixed up!" She giggled out loud. "Now you must do your best and try as hard as you can today. And I would like each team to line up. We will evaluate everyone's looks and determine which lady followed the style that they were meant to, based off of the iPads. Everyone had the same style, just different dress color. Those will tact on to your points." She smiled as we all lined up. Each of the chosers followed down the line and looked everyone over.
Once finished they all stood in a circle talking and nodding as each one spoke in a whisper. The girls began to get ancy and move, talking to others around them. I didn't say anything, I had a gut feeling it would be the wrong move. I stood still and kept my head held high. Once finished they turned around and smiled at the girls. Adam cleared his throat and began, "We have tallied the scores for appearance. We have the list numbered off for overall. We will name the top 5 girls and then we will get to work on our dancing." He stood back and let Ms. Beth talk this time, "Our top 5 girls, starting at 5:
Jade group Blue
Ashley Group red
Lexi group green
Litzy group blue
And our top girl is Annabeth group red." All the girls looked in between eachother with sadness and surprise. I was in shock. I looked over at Ashley and she narrowed her eyes at me and then rolled them. I guess that was the wrong move for me, to be number one?
My attention was drawn back into the lesson that was happening in front of me.
A man came out and bowed. He began to show us certain dances like the waltz. He also showed us how to properly dance with a partner.
Once finished we all paired up with one another. I made my way over to Ashley but she huffed at me and partnered with someone else.
I turned and was the last one left with another girl the girl with fiery red hair, Lexi.
We both took turns awkwardly leading. After an hour we were called to finish. "Okay Ladies, good job overall. You were also graded on this, which shouldn't be a surprise at this point, but you have no need to worry. The grade doesn't impact you as much as the appearance does. Right now you all need to worry about implementing your skills you learned today, into the ball tonight! Once you have danced with atleast 2 partners a special guest will have the honors of dancing with only 1 lucky lady tonight. So this would be an extremely important opportunity, especially if you want to win!" Adam said as he smiled in hopes that some of us could smile back in excitement. For most of these other girls they did, even Lexi. However I just stood there not showing any emotion, as I let my dissatisfaction stick to me.
We were let go and Hazel led me back to my room. Surprisingly for a big place I didn't need help getting back. I already remembered the way here, but Hazel insisted.
Once we arrived a knock on the door stirred me back to my feet. Adam bursted through the door and smiled. "I have three options for you." He said handing me the tablet. I sat down and browsed through them. "I'm actually shocked, out of all 100 girls. You were the hardest one to find dresses for." I looked up and caught his eye. He didn't look amused. I giggled making his fustration show a little more, "Well, I would apologize, but I'm won't. Every human is different and there has to be some other person in the world to have my taste in clothing as well." He shrugged, "Just the prince." I looked back at him and narrowed my eyes, he's lying. I could tell. This is probably another test to see what I would answer and if it would be right. "Hm." I finally said continued to look at my options.
First was a black laced dress. It was long and looked like it would fit tight in my body. It had short sleeves and a silver necklace that I would wear. The girl in the picture had a Smokey eye and an updo. I mean it's a pretty dress, but would it be easy to dance in?
The next dress was a dark blue ball gown. It was huge and looked like it had a lot of weight to it. The girl wore long while gloves with it. Honestly I hated this one. It seemed, too cinderalla like. Not me.
The next dress was actually pretty. It was a dark red, long dress. It reminded me of a maxi dress. It was flowy and looked comfy. The sleeves were topped with a lace and it was modest. Which would most definitely help any chance I have to prove myself.
If that's what I even want to do.
My hair would be braided and I would wear flats with the dress.
"This one" I said handing him the tablet. "Really?" He perked up his eyebrow with questionable disgust.
"Yes." I said firmly. I honestly don't care what anyone else thought. I really liked it and it was in my comfort zone. Especially since I'm not much of a dress girl. He nodded and walked to the door, "Okay. Well we will be in at 4 to help get you ready."
I nodded and looked at Hazel, "Do you think I would have time to take a nap?"
"I mean of course, that's 4 hours away. Do you want to practice dancing or have lunch?"
"No. I'm not hungry and I feel confident with myself." I said as I laid down. I mean I was completely lying, but at this point I didn't care. I felt exhausted for some reason. I just wanted to lay down and go into another reality. Hazel nodded, "Okay, so you want me to wake you up then?"
"Yes."
With that being said she stepped out and I quickly doze off.