Eighteen

Adam and a bunch of his crew rushed around, setting up cameras and microphones.
I watched feeling dizzy as they scurried from one corner to the other.
"Are you nervous?" I finally asked Matthew as he watched with me.
"Not about announcing, but I'm worried about the worlds reaction."
"How do you think everyone will take it?"
"On one hand I think they will be happy. My father wasn't the nicest king alive. But on the other hand, they might see me as a threat as well. Mainly because of the uncertainties."
"Matthew, what is the future for us?" I finally asked turning to him.
"Well, as of now we are choosing to change the world."
"Yeah, but not everyone is being changed. I mean you told me about the rebels going to the camps. But something Caden has said stuck with me, what about those who are innocent?"
Matthew stared down at me, not knowing how to answer. "Listen Anna, as a Queen you need to think if you are willing to risk a whole herd for a few bad ones in the bunch."
"But... Matthew, these people aren't 'herds' they are individuals, they are humans."
"Anna, this fixes two problems, food supply and backlash from those who don't side with us. I mean what other solution would you have? Killing them?"
"No.. I mean I'm not sure. I just.. I just feel bad."
"I know.. it's cause you have a genuine heart." He touched my cheek with his hand. "It's beautiful from the inside out, but Anna.. sometimes that won't save you or your people."
He leaned in and put his forehead against mine. "I wouldn't do anything that wasn't good. I wouldn't do anything that would hurt you or my people."
"I know.. I believe that."
"I hope so."
Before I could sneak a kiss in Adam cleared his throat pulling Matthews attention away from mine. "It's time, your highness." He said.
Matthew looked and me and gave me a peck on the cheek. He walked towards the cameras and stood in front. "Give me a countdown."
They did as he asked and everyone was quiet.
"Hello,
I have some unfortunate news. The king is dead, he was killed by the rebels. The rebels had no mercy for him, nor the innocent ones who was soon to flee the castle. This is a sign, a sign that it's time to side with us. My people, choose the right side. Choose us!"
Matthews speech began to sound like a womp in the background as my attention turned towards what was happened behind a curtain. I sneaked my way over there and slowly pulled the curtain aside. To my surprise it... it was Ashley. "What are you doing here?" I narrowed my eyes at her.
"Didn't you hear? They want to finish the competition out. Matthew suggested it, to liven up the people a little."
"But he has already chosen."
"Maybe his mistress." She sneered at me. I backed away a little feeling off guard.
My back hit something hard and it was Matthew. He looked down at me with his wide red eyes. Anger built in me. I gave myself to him! I changed my life around for him! And he wants to continue this shit! For who? Himself, the people? They don't want this! They are tired of the games!? Just like I am!
I looked at him and pushed him out of the way, too my surprise he easily moved. I stomped off, making my way back to our room. "Ahhhh!" I screamed as I slammed the pillows on the floor.
Why, why would he do this? I am not a toy!
I quickly got up and began packing my bags. There's only one thing I can do to escape this!
The rebels might have wanted to kill me, but they had a good point. Vampires were evil and they just want to play with humans to amuse them. We mean nothing to them! And I will not stand by and watch for this anymore. My heart isn't soft, it just knows when people are in trouble! I will become the new queen, but not to a world of vampires, to a world of humans.