Eight

*This is kinda what I'm imagining Prince Matthew to look like, to kind of give everyone an image

*This is kinda what I'm imagining Prince Matthew to look like, to kind of give everyone an image.*

Once we were alerted I followed a group of people out to meet Prince Matthew.
It was dark outside when we arrived. I noticed a small section of the backyard was lit with Christmas lights. It had a table and boxes of roses surrounding the table. Matthew looked bored as he saw the surroundings. But I on the other was in awe. It was beautiful. I honestly have never seen such a sight.
"Prince Matthew." A guard announced me and he bowed. Matthew turned to look at me and he smirked, "Ah, so you're the winner."
"Ah, so I am." I stated back quickly.
He smirked even more. "Well this shall be fun."
"Why do you say that?"
He shrugged not wanting to express himself. I assume because the cameras were on.
He pulled out a chair to the table, "please?"
I did as he said and sat down. "Thank you." I smiled at him.
"So tell me about yourself?"
This is so awkward, I'm not going to lie. Pretending to be someone else or like someone else in front of him and world is hard. I don't know if I can do it.
"What do you like to know?"
"Anything?"
I sat back thinking a little, "May favorite color is dark red. I love Chinese food and sushi. I also don't like wine..." I said looking at the glass and he did too.
"This isn't wine." He said.
Now I feel stupid, "oh.."
"How about you tell me about yourself?"
"Well, I'm a Royal you should know almost everything right? I mean that's why most girls applied here, because of the stories and wanting to meet me?"
I shook my head at him, "What?" He said.
"I didn't apply. I've never fantasized over anything about your or the family. That would be a ridiculous assumption. I mean if someone was in their right mind, why would they?" I spat out in disgust.
Was this wrong to tell him? Should I have kept my mouth shut? It's hard to act right and give the right answers around him.
I looked at him and to my surprise he was shocked. Like he had nothing to say, like he was stumbling over a response in his brain. "What?" I finally asked.
"Nothing..." he shook his head.
"No, tell me? Did I say something wrong?"
He began to laugh, "You are a very odd person."
"What do you mean by that?"
"I know you didn't apply, I know that. But don't pretend like you have no respect for us royals. We have given every single girl here a wonderful living arrangement. We have given them an opportunity of a lifetime."
I huffed, "An opportunity."
He narrowed his eyes at me, "Watch what you say. I'm done here." He pushed himself up and walked away.
I put my head in my hands. What have I done? I've killed myself.
I am the sucicide girl.
Why can't I act the way I'm supposed to around him? It's like the feelings I bury to act right come back up when he comes near. I can't just freaking shut my mouth! I let a few tears stream down my face. A few turned into a huge sob session.
I felt a warm arm set on my shoulder and I looked up to see Adam, "I'm s-So stupid Adam."
"No your not, it's just a lot to take in."
"Yeah, but if I don't straighten up, it could be the end for me."
"You're right. But atleast you know that."
I nodded. "Is it okay to leave?"
"Yes, go back to your room. Drink some wine, you'll like it now. And eat something."
I shook my head I'm not feeling it.
"Annabeth, you need to eat. You haven't ate more than a couple bites of salad in a week. I wanted to talk to you about this."
He sat down and I knew I was going to get this talk again. The dreaded one. The one I went through with my parents and therapist, even friends.
"Annabeth, we measure you girls almost everyday to get the sizes for dresses. You've easily lost 3 inches. Myself and a couple of other maids can tell the difference." I sighed and looked down.
He touched my hand, "A strong queen has to be well taken care, so she can be strong. So she can rule a world."
"I know." I whispered.
"I have a feeling this isn't your first talk?"
I shook my head no.
"Well this will be our secret.."
I nodded my head and got up. The guards followed me to the castle and as I made my way to my room.
I laid down and hazel brought a tray in. She smiled at me and quickly left. I picked at it and cried a little here and there.
My past probelems with food, is something I didn't want brought up.
But I know Adam is right. Today, just today I want to be myself. In my comfort zone.
I rolled over and let the thoughts of the day fall in and out of my brain. I let the tears roll down my cheeks and I decided tomorrow will be different.
———
I rose out of my sleep before anyone could wake me. I felt rested, I felt new. I decided I would skip breakfast just today so I can read.
I didn't want to be bothered as I sat by the window and meditated a little. I need to revive myself. Bring myself back to reality. I don't want to give up and I don't want to die. I want to live and do what I have to.
Hazel knocked on the door disturbing my meditation and smiled, "You're up early."
"Yes, I'm trying to do the right things."
"You always seem to do what is right ma'am."
I smiled at her loyalty to always make me feel better about myself. But I also hated it, I wanted the bold truth. I really didn't like when people sugar coated shit.
"Can I talk to Adam?"
"Yes.." she quickly left. Soon she was back and Adam was smiling at me. "You seem to be in better spirits."
"Yeah, I wanted to tell you that I'm strong and I'm ready to do this." Adam could see where I was going with this. "Let's walk."
I got up and followed him, he walked down the hall and we turned. He leaned up in a wall and pulled me in. I screeched a little, but he put his finger over his lips and I quickly shut up. "Whisper."
"Am I in trouble?"
He looked at me and shook his head, "No."
"Why do you say that? The prince was angry at me."
"He looked at the tapes. When they were editing. He does it every night to see what the girls are like. He can't get to know all of them easily in one week. So he does it every night. He saw you crying, he saw our talk. He saw it all."
My heart pounded in my chest. I felt like something had stabbed me. Why? I didn't like the thought of that. "He...saw...that.." I whispered. I put my head in my hands and felt defeated. He saw me break down, he saw me lose my cool. Now I have every chance of losing.
"Annabeth, it's not a bad thing!" Adam said sharply, grabbing my shoulders.
"Why?"
"Because he ordered the producers to not air that. He had them not air the date or anything. Because he didn't want people thoughts to change about you. That means something."
I looked at him and my eyes widened. "He saved my life?"
"Basically."
I shook my head. I need to talk to him.
"Now Annabeth, he knows that it's best to get the humans calmed down and back on our side. We don't want a rebellion."
"Everyone likes me and showing things that could change their minds, could have them lose hope in something?"
"Correct. Listen Matthew is different."
"How so?"
"He doesn't agree with this. If it was his way he would fight with the rebellion. He would change the world and give humans more freedom... but... but he can't."
"Why?"
"It's harder to explain."
"So are the humans right?"
"No, no one is right. But if we don't change the humans minds, the race might be wiped out."
"You're right. Even if it causes them to live the same life, it's better than dying."
"Correct. But Annabeth, make them believe it. Matthew has plans for the future and it says something if he doesn't air the things that happened. He airs everything with all the other girls, good or bad. So trust him, be strong. We need to go. To keep suspicion down."
Adam let hope spark in my heart. He gave me the will to keep going. I followed him into the hall and back to my room.
He smiled and shut the door and left. My anxiety was gone and I sat at the window. Not to meditate, but to relax.
I saw Matthew standing in his place again. Staring off, thinking.
I quickly got up and ran to the door. I need to talk to him.
As I made my way down the hall, trying to find the balcony that he stood on. I was unsuccessful, until I remembered... he can't be on a balcony that let's just anyone in.
I began to find a guard, "sir!" I called to the one I seen last night. He looked at me and stopped, "Yes?"
"Can I speak to Prince Matthew?"
He began to laugh, "I think you have done enough speaking." I narrowed my eyes, "Take me to the prince!" He laughed even harder. What the hell is wrong with this guy?
Suddenly is obnoxious laughing caught the attention of the Matthews servent, Butler or whatever. "Annabeth right?"
"Yes."
"Let me take you to him." She said softly and smiled at me.
"Thank you so kindly."
"No problem, I was listening to how he was treating you, disgusting. And I know a lot about you. Call me a friend, even a fan if you might." She smiled back.
"I will! What's your name if you don't mind me asking?"
"Susan. Anytime you need to see Matthew, just holler at me Okay?"
"Okay!"
Wow, that was lucky.
She led me to prince Matthews room and we walked in. To my surprise it wasn't a room, it was a suite. With a kitchenette and living room/parlor attached.
"Is he on the balcony?"
"Yes"
She began to let him know I was here, "I-I think I will go."
She nodded and let me go ahead. I opened the door stirring Matthew to turn around away from his thoughts. I could tell my the look in his face he was surprised to see me.
Especially in such comfy looking clothes. Well I assume. As he looked me up and down. I was in leggings and an oversized shirt.
"Matthew." I said and looked at me.
"I wanted to say that I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said, I just was acting stupid.."
he put his hand up. "No, I know that. I know that it's hard and different. I just didn't want my parents to see you talking that way, because I agree with you. I personally think this whole competition is stupid."
I looked at him shocked, "But.."
"My mom set it up. Because it's a tradition."
That makes sense. "I see. Well, I also wanted to say thank you."
"For what."
"For protecting me.." I knew I was saying thank you for not airing it, but he didn't need to know that.
"Well, your welcome."
"So we are okay?" I said.
He smiled at me, "yeah."
I walked over to the balcony and put my arms on the ledge to look down and he followed along with me. "This is my relaxing spot. I need it to remind myself that I'm just a small man in a big world." I giggled a little, "Yeah that would make sense. Maybe everyone should do that. We get caught up in everything, it's hard to focus and remember that."
"And since I'm a prince I have to get caught up even more."
"Is it hard?"
"To be a prince? Or to be caught up in everything?"
"Both."
"Yes and no. I'm so used to it, so it doesn't get to me. I'm sure it does get to all the girls now. Having to constantly worry about someone watching them, judging their every move." I frowned at those words, "Are they watching us now."
"No, even a royal needs his privacy."
I smiled at him as he said that. His beauty dark red eyes stirred my soul.
Something just sparked in me and I knew that this was good of time as any. I leaned in closer to him.
It was like as a something was drawing us into eachother. Suddenly he pulled in even closer and raised his hand to my cheek.
Our lips touched and I was in another world.
I was a flower, not yet bloomed and the second we touched. The second we felt our lips on eachothers, every thing opened.
I put my hands up to his face and we began to feel eachother movements, eachothers breath. Eachothers kiss. The more we kissed, the more I couldn't stop. Matthew pulled away and I caught my breath remembering that I had to breath to live.
"I think it's best if I go.." I said backing away.
"Yeah" he said breathlessly. I turned and walked out into the hallway. All I could do was smile. I felt my heart pounding with happiness. I ran do my room and laid on my bed. "Omygosh." I softly
Hazel walked in bringing a tray in with her, "Ma'am I know your not hungry, but you need to eat. They might..." she trailed off as she saw me. "You look so.. did.. what..."
I shook my hand, "I'm just happy you brought me food. I'm starving!" I smiled. I sat the table and she sat with me. "Are you going to eat?"
"Yeah.." She said awkwardly.
She got up and ran out the door. I looked down to see chicken pot pie. Eh not my favorite.
By the time hazel got back she was shocked, "You ate every bite!" She smiled.
"It was good."
"Yes!" She clapped.
"So what is the lessons and competiton this week?"
Hazel looked down. "Hazel..."
"Well.." she hesitated. "They are going to do the outings as the competitions, no lessons."
"Then what's wrong?"
"They are eliminating 10 girls from each group."
My fork thudded against the plate. "Why!?"
"Because they are ready to get everyone moved to the castle."
This is because of the rebellion. Adam wants me to stop the rebels so the girls don't die as fast! So the competition lives. I began to panick. "No." My eyes widened.
"Ma'am, calm down."
She grabbed my hands quickly and hugged me. I began to cry. "I'm so afraid."
"I know.. you need to be strong. I believe in you." She smiled at me.
I slumped over thinking about it, thinking about how so many girls lives will be taken... for this. For one person to marry the prince. So worthless. Maybe that's why the humans are fighting back?