Twelve

My mind had not been moved since i discovered the truth or atleast what I thought was the truth about why Matthew is trying to stay close to me.
I looked out the window as I waited for time to pass. I had an aching to go to the courtyard below my window.
I slipped on some dark clothing so I could blend into the dark. Once finished I gathered up the pillows and blankets and made it look like I was sleeping in the bed.
Once things were quiet I snuck out of my room and started walking down the hallway.
I saw some lights dancing across the halls around a corner. As quickly as I could I snuck up to the wall and saw Matthew and some woman.
They were talking to eachother, I quickly ducked my head and slowed my breathing down, as I tried to listen to them.
"The rebels are getting out of hand, I'm not sure we can keep up the dance long enough. You might need to pick out a girl sooner than you thought."
Matthew sighed, "I have one it mind that would rule the kingdom, but she's too loud. To erratic and I don't know how she would act if she had a lot of pressure." What the hell? I'm not erratic.
"Who? Maybe we can train her more."
"Ashley." My heart thudded in my ears. I felt the tears beginning to drip down my cheeks as those words came out.
"I thought you was thinking about Annabeth."
He looked away from the lady, "She's a perfect match to calm down the rebels, but I don't know if she is right for the moves we want to make. I'm also afraid that once they let light of the eating disorder, people will turn from her."
"Well, your highness, you must choose."
"I know. This is the hardest decision."
I didn't want to hear anymore. My broken heart was on the floor. Instead of picking it all back up I made my way back to my room. I pushed the pillows and blankets aside and laid there. Fuck him. I'm not going to go to the gardens so we can 'chat'.
I cried into my pillow, thinking back to the time that my "disorder" arose.
——-
I was 12. A skinny girl, who was perfect and had everything a young girl could want. Eventually it wouldn't feel that way.
My mom had decided to take both my little 5 year old sister and I to the park. It was an amazing day, so beautiful there wasn't a cloud in the sky.
My little sister, she was the smartest little girl around. She was special to me. We had been through thick and thin. I don't think I would ever part from her, or so I had thought.
"Such a pretty day Anny!"
I hugged her, "let's play on the swings lany bug!" We both scurried over to where the swings sat and giggled as we tried to push each other higher than the last.
Before we knew it, it was almost time to go back home. Lany told me she had to use the bathroom, so I escorted her to the ladies. I turned my head and remembered her shoes by the swing set. I knew if I lost those mom would be so angry with us, she had just bought them. I quickly ran to the swings and quickly ran back.
I waited and waited for lany, but finally after 15 minutes I became worried.
"Lany!" I hollered knocking on the door. "Lany?!" I pulled the door open and she was gone!
"Mom!" I screamed.
Everything from there on was a blur the cops had came and investigated the scene.
We had thought someone had taken her, but our sad news became even worse. She was found, her perfect innocent body was found in a gutter. She was torn to shreds, he clothes had blood all over them. From that day on, all I could do was blame myself.
I would go days and days without eating, sadness overcame me to the point I was sick.
I would occasionally puke, but finally out of the grief my parents held, they noticed. They sent me to a therapist and now I'm here. Struggling, but still holding on. I just don't think I can open my heart up to this pain again. Maybe, that's what I need to do to show him I'm good enough and I'm not crazy.
——-
The day came very quickly for me. I rose, ready for the unexpected.
I ran over to the iPad and looked at the messages.
Goodmorming Ladies!
Today we will be learning proper dining etiquette. Your lesson with be at 2:00pm.

I really didn't want to attend and I really wanted to avoid the prince as much as possible. I feel like a fool. For giving into someone so fake. Those weeks we spent together, I let him see the real me. Not just because I wanted to win, but also because I've fallen for him. Fallen for him, just like every other girl in this competition.
I hated myself so much for allowing myself to be so foolish.
Did I even want to go to the ball? Ugh, I put my head in my hands. I wish I could give up without loosing my life. This isn't for me.
Trying to let go of this depressing thoughts I decided to take a long shower. It worked a little. I got dress for the lesson and made my way to the where the lessons would be.
"Hey Annabeth." I turned to see a girl I didn't really know.
"Hi..."
she giggled at my uncertainty.
"Sorry, I'm Elizabeth. You can call me Liz for short."
"Hello, Liz! It's nice to meet you. I haven't seen you in the competition." She giggled once again. Now I'm feeling like a fool. "I'm not a competitor, I'm the princes younger sister."
"Omygosh I feel like a fool." I quickly bowed, "Its really nice to meet you."
"No need to bow. I've watched you and I figured we would make good friends, excuse my fowardness."
I smiled at her, "That's so sweet!"
"Do you want to go for a walk? I know your lesson isn't for another 2 hours."
"Sure!"
She led me down the hall and to the door. It was a secret garden, one only meant for royals I assume.
Once we walked out the door, I was in awe. It was beautiful. The birds chirped and butterflies flopped their wings happily.
"Pretty isn't it?"
"Yes." I said in awe.
"I made my parents make this for me when I was younger, so I always have a quiet place to go. I don't typically let people come back here with me."
"Why did you bring me?"
"Because I want you to win. I want you to help me."
"Help you with what?"
"Help me with changing my brothers mind."
"How So?"
"I want him to realize that the world would be better off without the rebels and the humans."
My eyes widened. "I-I can't do that. T-that's my family and friends! I am a human." She laughed at my innocence.
"Anna, we won't kill them, we will change them. Everyone would be on the same playing field."
"What do You mean?"
"See there are three different sides of this war. Those who believe that the humans should go back to how everything used to be. Those who feel like the human race should vanish. And those who feel like we should all transition to becoming one of us."
"The only question is, which way is right."
"Well, the way I see it is... the other two sides involve the complete wipe out of either side."
"Your brother is on which side?"
"He's on the middle of the fence. He can't make up his mind. He thinks that you would be a good option of queen if we sided with the humans. He thinks Ashley would be a good option if we sided with the vampires."
My heart ached as I remembered that conversations.
"Unfortunately he's leaning the other way that is not favorable."
I turned my head, "unfortunately I already know." She tilted her head.
"I was going to meet him in the gardens like he asked and... well I stumbled up on his conversation with someone else." Tears filled my eyes as I remembered everything.
She came up and grasped me and held onto me as I cried, "Oh Anna! Listen my brother does have feelings for you. He is just stuck in a very hard place."
"How do you know?"
"We sat and watched the cameras together all the time. I seen the way his eyes lit up any time you came on. I also seen how much he clenched his jaw anytime he saw anyone else, including Ashely. He honestly is stuck making the hardest decision anyone can. I could understand him."
I nodded. I knew she was right. I could understand the situation he was in, actually I probably would be the same way. But my feelings and heart pushed those logical thoughts aside. "I know." I sniffled.
"It's okay Anna. So are you with me."
"I feel like this has to be the best option honestly. I don't want vampires to be wiped out or humans."
"Good. So I think we need to change my brothers mind. Before he sided with one side fully."
"How are we going to do that?"
She smiled at me, "The ball. We have to make you look regrettable. If he chooses Ashley over you, he might lose it."
I smiled as I followed her in. She talked with another lady who did measurements and the. She began working on my new dress. "Go to your lessons and come back here immediately so we can get you ready."
I did as she said.
My lessons went by with a bore. Ashley and the other girls snickered at me. What new rumor do they have?
"Ladies!" Adam said smiling. He glanced at me with a worried look. "Prince Matthew has a present for one of our special ladies." They all gasped and looked around at eachother.
A man in a Black suit came out with a dozen of roses and tulips. He opened an envelope and read it:
My dearest Ashley,
Will you accept this invitation to accompany me to the ball tonight?"
I leaned back in my chair and rolled my eyes. I hope it's not too late.
She got up and screamed, "Yes! yes!"
All the girls clapped and smiled. I just sat in the chair looking bored. She looked back at me and winked. Bitch.
Once that whole situation was over, I got up quickly and made my way back to the Liz's room. "There you are. What's wrong?" She looked at me closely.
"Liz, he is going to take Ashley to the ball. Together. He did a announcement with flowers."
"Don't you worry, we will show him tonight." She smiled as she led me to the pedestals. The maid came in and quickly got to work on me. Liz sat down in the chair and watched. "I'm so excited!"
"Me too!" I smiled.
After an hour of work I was finally able to see what I had been put in.
My dress was huge! It was a dark red and had an halter top. I was wearing diamond earrings and my hair was braided to the side with gems. I had a dark Smokey eye.
Honestly, I have never seen myself this beautiful. I thought my dress the last ball was amazing. But this. Wow.
"It's so beautiful.."
Liz smiled, "I know. If he doesn't want you after this, then we are in trouble."
"I wonder what Ashley's dress will look like?"
Liz giggled, "see I done some sneaking around. She is wearing a green ball gown. With gems and a cheap tiara. Trust me, it looked like she was more of a prom queen, instead of a queen of vampires."
I laughed, "Wow you are so sneaky." She flipped her hair and winked at me. "Now for my dress!"
She hopped away and I kept staring at myself. I've never seen something so magnificent.
Liz returned and I quickly looked at her. She was wearing a black tight dress. A mermaid style with gems going from the neckline to
Her feet. "You look so beautiful."
"Thank you." She smiled.
I really hope this works.