Twenty

I rose quickly to the sound of a door shutting. I began to frantically look around and too my surprise it was my imagination.
It had been 1 week since I had arrived at the castle. I had ate probably 3 meals, but I spent 99% of my time in the gardens. It was relaxing and gave me time to think about everything. If this lady in my dream was right, everything would be okay.
Atleast for my baby and the world. It never hit me that no one knows about this child, except for the rebels that tried to hurt me.
I decided to go back to my room for another shower. When I got in I saw a new tray of food and another note from hazel.
Annabeth,
Please eat.
Hazel

I know what she was thinking, that I was doing this on purpose. But honestly I wasn't. I vomited every time I thought or was around food. The only thing I could handle was occasionally meat.
Nothing else was satisfying. I couldn't help it either. It's like this child didn't want food. Every time I thought about what this baby actually wants, my heart dropped.
I shook my head and went to take a shower. As I took off my robe I looked at my spine protruding out of my back. I was smaller than when I first arrived. This child was literally draining me.
I took a nice hot shower and once I stepped out I felt the waves of nausea and dizziness fall over me. I'm not going to make it through this. I rushed to the toliet and everything came out. I ran over to the sink to wash out my mouth and I looked up into my reflection. Everything didn't feel right. I felt like I was falling. My eyes rolled back and I did too.
As gravity took ahold of my body, I felt the hard ground slam into me. I closed my eyes and saw nothing.
—-
"There you are again. It's been awhile."
"It's you I should be saying that too." I retorted.
"Well, you are the one who keeps calling me."
"What do you mean?"
"Darling you keep calling my presence for help. And I honestly think it's to help you through this pregnancy."
"It is... I don't feel like I will make it through this."
"You need to drink blood. I know it sounds gross, but you have too. Or you will die and your baby will too." I bowed my head.
"I learned the hard way."
"How can I get blood! I'm trapped!"
"No your not. You have a faithful servant. Now go back hun."
——-
I took a deep breath in feeling the welcoming sharp air fill my lungs. I opened my eyes to a blur. Where am I?
I looked around and I was in a huge bed with a red comforter. I sat up feeling the nausea touch me a little. "You're Okay Anna." I heard a warm voice. I turned to see hazel standing over me. "Hazel? Where am I?"
"In the kings bed. Matthews bed."
"Am I at the castle?"
"No, your at the hiding place."
"Why am I not in the castle? What happened!"
"It's okay Anna, you collapsed. I found you much later. You were barely alive. Luckily The king is fast. He was able to revive you with his blood."
"I don't want to see Matthew. Please take me back."
"I'm s-s-Sorry I cant Anna."
"Why not!?"
"Because Matthew said you have to stay here because your refusing to eat. You almost died Annabeth!"
"Hazel! I have been vomiting my guts out. I can barely stand the sight of food. I'm not trying to starve myself. There is only one thing this child wants Hazel." Tears began to fill my eyes. I laid my weak body back on the bed. I sob into the pillow, I can't take this anymore. The rumors, suggestions. It's all bullshit.
"It's okay Anna. I'll be right back."
She left and came back. She had a glass that was sloshing with red liquid. "Here." She smiled at me. My meter of disgust was sky high, but something pulled me towards it. I wanted it so bad. I grabbed the glass and gulped the metallic liquid. It was so good. I wiped the blood from my mouth. "That.. is the best thing I've had in a long time." Hazel smiled, "more then?"
"Yes." I felt my body coming back to life with every drop of blood.
I laid back on the bed and for the first time in a long time I could sleep. A good sleep.
————
I woke again frantically searching for more blood. A hand handed me another glass, it was Matthews hand. I looked at him as I took the glass. I let the thick liquid coat my lips once again. Too me this was like eating a candy bar. Every single time a burst of chocolate hits your mouth and you
can't do anything but moan, yes moan... at the taste. Thats how the blood tasted, like a bar of chocolate.
Once I was finished I looked at Matthew, "I want to go back to the castle." I demanded.
"Why?" He would barely look at me.
"It's peaceful and I don't want to be brought into this stupid competition anymore. At this point you can kill me if you want for denying it."
His eyes fearfully looked back up at mine. "No annabeth."
"Then stop this mess! What are you going to do? Choose another girl?"
"Annabeth... I'm just afraid!" He finally shouted back at me.
"Why?!"
"Because you might not make it.." he said with a guilty look.
"So you want to buddy up with Ashley to find my replacement?! When you are uncertain of the future anyways? You're disgusting. And Matthew I will make it!"
His eyes widened at the words as I spoke them.
"I have to do what is best for the people."
I turned, crossing my arms. I didnt want to talk about it anymore.
"Fine. Do what you want. This right here is over. Send me back to the castle. I'm done with your competiton and you."
I got up and went into the nearest room I could lock myself in, the bathroom.
I slumped against the tub and sobbed. I hated this and i Hated myself for saying those words. But what was I going to do? Play along until Matthew found out I was going to live.
I was done with it. My heart was broken and my mind was mush. I just wanted to be to myself, for this pregnancy. So I can take care of this baby.
I looked down at my growing belly. It was growing faster that the average pregnancy. I was worried, but at the same time happy. To finally be able to feel kicks.
After a good hour I stepped out of the bathroom and my bags were on the bed. Hazel stood up when she saw me. "Are you okay Anna?" I ran over to her and hugged her. "I don't think I'll ever be okay. But I have to be strong."
"You are strong." She said hugging me tighter.
She grabbed my bags and looked at me, "I have a car packed with all of the supplies we'll need for the next month or so."
"Your not going to leave me alone again are you?"
"No, this time I have orders to stay with you. And men have orders on making the part of the castle you stay in secure and safe. By the time we get there it should be fixed."
My heart thumped at those words. Matthew still cared for me... even now. Or maybe it's just the baby. Either way, it meant a lot.
———
We arrived at the castle and it still looked the same on the outside. To me that was good, because that meant to others it wasn't being touched. And they weren't interested in an abandoned looking castle that was burnt.
We walked inside, down the path that led me to my old room. And just like hazel said, it was fixed up. It had a secure door that led into the hall that held my room. I looked at hazel and she smiled, "What about the gardens?"
"They built a underground pathway leading to the gardens from your room."
I didn't question how odd that was. I was just thankful that it was there.
Everything was going to be okay.
Hours had passed and Hazel was the best company anyone could ask for. She made me smile, even when I wanted to break down. She even talk about the fun things.. like setting up for the baby. What gender the baby will be? The babies name? I honestly hadn't even thought about it.
What I was thinking about was the pains I had all over my body.
It felt like non stop cramping, it was probably from the move and sitting in the car. At one point it was getting so bad I told hazel that I wanted to rest and that is where I lay now. She left me to sleep, but I couldn't something felt off. And everything hurt terribly.
"Ahh!" I finally screamed. I felt something wet sploosh. Hazel bursted through the door. "Annabeth!" She hollered.
"Hazel, I think my water broke! It's not time!" I began to cry. I knew the baby wasn't going to make it. I hadn't even hit 9 months. Hazel ran out the door and came back in with water and towels. "Hazel what are you doing?"
"Annabeth, calm down." She pulled out a need and rose her hand above my neck. "Hazel!" I scream as she plunged the needle in me.
It made everything sting my skin, veins, organ and any part of my body.
"I screamed in agony as I began to feel the worst pain of my life. All I could was cry and stay frozen.
I felt something slice against my stomach and hazel whispering to me, but everything was so dark.
Everything felt so warm. Everything was changing. I was changing.