Six

"Ms" Hazel said as she shook me. I opened my eyes and dreaded that it was already this today.
"We need to get ready. You have already overslept. So no breakfast."
And honestly I didn't mind, hunger was the least of my problems.
I got up and went to the portal. I looked at the outfits that I could wear, I landed on the heels, slacks, white shirt and a black jacket. Simple but elegant. I chose to have my hair put up and to wear little makeup.
I've never been to a job interview, but I assume this is what it would be like.
"Pretty!" Hazel glistened as she looked me over.
"Is it time to go?"
"Almost, someone will come and call you when they are ready for you."
"Are they doing all 100 girls?"
"Yes, they are going to split it up. But I'm not sure how they will."
"Hm, interesting."
We sat there in silence. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting. I'm sure a good 4 hours had went by. And I thought I was going to be late. "What is taking so long?" I asked.
"Let me ask okay Ms?"
She ran off and came back quickly. "They are going alphabetically, but backwards. The guards told me they are almost to the B's."
Wow. I leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes. I was so tired and all I could think about last night was the type of questions I would be asked. Or how I would approach everyone. All I could think about was if I had been evicted from the competition. How it would be if I died. What it would feel like.
It scared me, honestly it did. Never had I thought about dying or never had I been so close to death. Walking a thin line everyday. Every move I made, every choice, it had consequences and I could live or die from them. My stomach began to knot up as I stressed myself out even more.
"It's time" Hazel said taking me from my anxiety and thoughts. I stood up and Adam smiled at me. We began to walk down the hall and he turned stopping in his tracks, "Let's talk later about some dresses for your competition next week okay?" He winked at me. It was weird, but all I knew was that he didn't mean that we were going to talk about dresses. He knocked on the door and when we were ushered in I saw who was here, the King, Queen, and Matthew.
They stood at our entrance and I bowed. "Please take a seat darling" the queen put her hand out towards the comfy looking chair.
Adam turned and shut the door behind him.
I sat down at the same time they did and smiled. "That was quiet a show yesterday. I'm honestly impressed with your empathy." Said the king. "My only question for you is, do you think your choice had an effect on the society?"
Starting off strong I see.
"Yes."
He nodded, "What effect? Explain please. No harm."
But there was one. I became extremely nervous but I pushed all those feelings aside and put my back a little straighter. Even if it is the wrong answer, I have to deliver it well. I have to sell it.
"My decision had a good and bad effect. Good on others, bad on others. Either way no matter what I chose it would be the same. So why not give a man a chance and have a small dance. Show empathy and compassion, before passing judgment." The all nodding understanding my point of view. "Okay, what about the fight between two other girls? When you first arrived, you just walked away. You separated yourself. Was you afraid you would look like a coward?" Matthew asked. I couldn't tell if he was testing me or not.
"Honestly no, I wasn't in the mood for petty drama. I'm a big girl and I have big girl needs. Things like that don't need to include me."
"Enough with the politics, let's talk about you. You have such confidence that sticks with you. It's very admiring, even for the society. Even though we are just getting to know you, do you think that you are confident enough to say that you are a good fit for a queen and our son?" And the queen hit the head with this one. I thought about it, do I?
"All of my life I have been raised to expect a life of success. I come from an extremely successful family. I have never thought that I would be in this place. I have never prepared to run a country or be married right now. So am I confident to say i am a good fit, no. I'm not. But could I be, possibly? I'm young and I can only be confident with what I know. And I do know that I can adapt and learn to do anything. I am a strong woman and a woman who has an amazing life ahead of her."
I hoped I sold that. I can't tell, but they seemed pleased. "Well Annabeth, I think that is all the questions we have. Thank you and good luck." I bowed, "Thank you." My eyes caught the satisfactory gaze of Matthews. He winked at me and smiled. I smiled back.
He was like a piece of cake. It looked so good, but was it healthy for you? Would you be satisfied once you ate it?
I made my way back to my room, or was trying to when I turned the corner and bumped into Ashley. In the processing of bumping into her she spilled water all over her dress. "Ah! How dare you?! Your trying to get me to lose! First your pathetic suicide attempt and now this?!" She practically yelled at me.
I backed away not knowing how to respond or if I should even respond. Adam shook his head at the little tiff in the hallway. "Alrighty girls lets move along, please. Ashley let's get you another dress." He said to her and then looked at me. I honesty felt terrible. I didn't want to make her change. I didn't want to make her lose the competition. "Let me help." I said without thinking.
"You've already done enough Anna!" She said, slipping a few tears out. "No let me help, it was my fault. Let me help. Please!" I insisted even harder.
"Fine let's make this quick." Adam said rolling his eyes.
I followed them back to the room and helped blow dry the water stain out of the dress. After about 30 minutes, it looked good. "Can you still see it?" I asked Adam.
"Actually no I can't. You can't even tell there was anything wrong." He examined the dress.
"Good job Annabeth. Now Ashley we need to leave."
"Good luck Ashley." I said softly and she looked back at me. She didn't know how to respond to my tone or hopes for her success.
I made my way across the room and sat in my chair, letting out a sigh of relief. This gig is exhausting and I'm honestly tired of it. At this point I have no options, either die or fight to be a queen.
I let my eyes feel heavy as I dozed off.
"Ma'am!" I woke hearing Hazel shake me a little. "What?! Is everything okay?" I jumped up a little.
"The results are out! You have to be in the ceremony room now!"
I stood up quickly, "Already? They don't wait!"
She led me down the hall and into the ceremony room.
All the girls were talk to one another and I could honestly tell there was tension in the air. Nerves of the girls who was worried about being cut off.
I quickly found myself a seat and waited. We all became silent when an air horn blew, "WELCOME THE KIND AND QUEEN. ALONG WITH PRINCE MATTHEW!"
They took their seats on the stage and the cameras swirled around them catching every beautiful angle they could. This was probably the first time the world could get a close up personal view of the royalty. Since they really don't show up in the news daily.
Adam grabbed the microphone making us all follow his move. "Ladies! I know it's a shock to all of you that we are eliminating so early. But that is the process of the game!" No it's not there is something else going on. Why would they rush a most viewed show on national TV? They have to making millions on this alone, why would they rush it?
"We have decided to elimate 2 out of each of the 5 groups. Instead of 1." All the girls gasped and this time I followed along with their emotion. I'm even sure most of the world was shocked by this.
"It is easier to list the bottom two, AKA the eliminated. When we call the eliminated we would like all of you to stand on the stage."
I held my breath as he said those words. Nerves prickled through me. I felt like I could scream and run from this room. I didn't want to watch this. Watch the possibility of my death or any others death on public TV.
"From the pink team:
Cora and Nike." Everyone's eyes followed the girls as they began to hysterically bawl and hug eachother. My heart pounded as I watched the two of them step up for their executions.
"Blue team:
Lila and Dream."
"Green Team:
Justice and Katie."
I watched as the girls stood on stage bawling. All they could do was wait.
"Black Team:
Angela and Nina"
"Red team:"
My heart dropped I didn't want to hear it but I had too.
"Dana and Kylie." I felt a wash of relief come over me. Thankful that it wasn't me, but still so broken that it was them. Those two girls were nice to me. My heart pinched as I began to let tears slip down my face.
The lights went dark and a glass began to come down from the ceiling seperating us from the eliminated girls. I could see the fear on their faces as they looked around wandering what was going to happen next.
Suddenly 5 boys came out from a door. They didn't look like normal boys, nothing like a vampire either.
They had sharp teeth and beading eyes. Those eyes, were the ones looking for their next meal. They were vampires but vampires without any human quality. Half-breds.
Half-Breds are vampires that are changed without the pure cleanliness of purebloods. It's like getting bit by a rabied vampire. But why are they letting them feed? Those are usually sent to death if found?
My curiousty halted as I watched them tackle the girls. Blood splattered all over the glass. The girls began to scream and beat on the glass and fear for their life.
Slowly they all died. One by one.
I could hear everyone around me crying, sobbing and screaming. This all just became reality to those girls.
All I could do was watch. Watch as my fellow teammates began to be shredded up. This has been reality to me.
I glanced at Lexi and I saw she had the same reaction as well. Nothing, as she watched the scene in front of here.
What is wrong with us? Why aren't we crying?