Fifthteen

The plans weren't going as planned. Liz was having a hard time connecting with Ashley and Matthew was having a hard time getting Ashley to turn her views.
3 weeks have went by and we were so close, yet so far from success. Matthew and I have seen eachother 3 times. We had to be careful as riots and angry vampires grew even more aggressive. Liz couldn't talk to me hardly, especially as she was trying to separate herself.
I could see her difficulties, everything was hard for her and him. Even me.
Something was off and I didn't feel right.
"Knock knock!" Adam hollered waking me up from my slumber. "Girl what is wrong with you? All you do is sleep these days."
"I don't know, stress?"
"Well we have an announcement! Meet in the thrown room!"
I got up and slumped my way towards the bathroom. My pathetic face looks pale and thin. I put my hair in a bun and wore the laziest clothes I could. I wasn't even going to try, I didn't even feel like moving. My body ached and my head hurt.
We all gathered in the thrown room waiting for the special announcement.
"Well look at what dragged out of bed. I'm shocked!" Ashley giggled to the other girls. I happily ignored them as I sat and waited. Anymore these days I could easily ignore her. She didn't bother me, she wasn't even competition.
"Ladies!" We all became quiet as Adam moved our attention.
"We have our LAST competition coming up. Yes you heard that right. We haven't evicted anyone since the castle. But the people are growing tired. They want to see the next queen! So in 2 weeks we will be going out in cars. You will have to survive the crowning ceremony! The prince will chose who he wants at that time." We all looked in between eachother and my heart began to beat hard. What? We don't have time for that!
What does this mean?
I had to talk to Matthew. After we were dispersed I discreetly made my way to the garden. Luckily when I walked in Liz had heard too. She was panicked and pacing back and forth. "Liz?"
My wide eyes watched. "Anna. This isn't good. The riots are so bad right now. The people have lost hope. They have to make a decision. Now!"
"But they said in 2 weeks?"
"They are hoping they can prolong it for as long as possible."
"Where is Matthew?"
"I'm waiting on him."
I ran up and hugged Liz, trying to calm her down.
She quickly pulled away, "something is off about you." She furrowed her eyebrows at me. I backed away and Matthew entered stirring us.
"Matthew"
"I know. I don't know what to do." He sat down and Liz walked up to him. "Liz go talk to mom. She wants you now. You are evacuating with her tonight. They have sent an alert and the castle is being evacuated. It's too dangerous here now." Her eyes widened and she quickly ran off.
I walked up to Matthew and he stood up. "I can't." He held up his hand.
"I just want to be alone." He turned and gave me the cold shoulder. I slumped and walked away.
Tears prickled in my eyes. I didn't know what would happen to me. I was scared.
By the time I got back to room to sleep some more, I found a note laying on my bed.
Anna,
It's official. We failed. The riots have reached an alarming amount. We are relocating. My brother and father are staying until the end of the competiton. Please be careful. Protect yourself.
P.S- I had Adam set you up and appointment to see our local physician. Unfortunately he's bogged down with appointments, so he can't see you until a day before the last day of the competition. In the mean time, be careful please.
Your best friend,
Liz
I leaned back on the bed. This is not good.
I'm scared for my life and I don't even know what to do.
——-
The days seemed to go by fast. We really didn't have to worry about proving ourselves anymore. I'm sure Matthew has already made his choice. The girls crowded together and spent as much time as they could. I on the other hand avoided the situation. I didn't want to deal with Ashley and I didn't feel right. I feel like I'm getting sick.
It was a couple days before the announcement and Adam came in to inform that the doctor would be by to assist me. He had a free time in his schedule and made time for me.
Which I was actually relieved. I'm afraid something might seriously be wrong. Maybe death was pending for me sooner than I had thought.
I hadn't seen Matthew, in fact he had avoided me completely. He wouldn't answer my messages or calls.
I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if he was stressed with the announcement. Maybe he was too busy with the riots.
I heard a knock at the door and quickly stood up. "Hello, Anna." A old tall man smiled at me as he entered.
"Hey." I smiled.
"Can you give me a list of things that have been happening? I think we should start there then we will run test."
"Sure."
I told him what was going on and he nodded.
"Okay, let me run some test and I will get back to you in an hour."
He took a blood sample and then was off.
I laid back down feeling relieved. I really needed this. Most of all I really needed Matthew.
I ached for him. I cried at night when he refused me. I need him! Especially in my last moments!
We had done all that stuff, shown our true feelings and made plans. Now he is denying me. It hurts. On top of that I can't even get ahold of Liz. She can't reach out for fear of someone giving away their position. I felt like crying and panicking all at once. my anxiety was at an all time high. Especially since I'm practically to myself 24/7 these days.
I stared at the cieling waiting for the results. I knew deep down in my heart the doctor was going to come back and tell me I have so many days to live.
Finally after what seemed like an eternity the doctors came back.
"I'm so glad your back. I have a feeling I know what the results will read."
"What do you think that is?" He narrowed his eyes.
"I- have so many days to live..." I began crying.
"Oh no darling the complete opposite!"
He chuckled.
"What?"
"Anna, your with child." My heart stopped and my eyes widened. "W-What?"
"Yes, congratulations! I would assume by the blood results that you are about 5 weeks. You need to rest and try not to stress. What your feeling is normal."
I nodded, what he was saying didn't sink in at all. He shook my hand and left.
What? How is this possible?
No. I got up and ran towards the door.
I found a guard, "Sir, I'm so sorry but I need to see Matthew. It's an emergency."
"I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't"
"Please, please! It's an emergency." My screaming caught the stares and odd looks from others around us. Including some of the girls, they looked at me with sorrowful eyes. I assume they thought I was going crazy. In their defense, I feel like I am. I'm breaking down, this can't be happening. Even though the doctor said dying was the complete opposite.. this right here could be what kills me.
The guard awkwardly looked around and sighed, "follow me."
I did as he said and I noticed we were going to the royal area of the castle. He stopped and whispered to the guard next to him and he nodded. He then knocked on the door and a butler appeared at the door. "Ah." He said as the guard whispered to him.
He turned and waved his hand at me to come in. I followed him as he lead me into a parlor. "The king and prince are having a meeting. They might not be pleased to see that I interrupted them, but if it's an emergency." He said with a long boring sigh. I nodded trying to convince him it was! He rolled his eyes and asked "Your name Ms?"
"Anna."
He walked to the door and Matthew answered it. He didn't even give the butler time to speak before he saw me. "What are you doing?" He walked towards me and I couldn't help it. I began to cry.
Most of the time this would be a joyful event, but this is out of wedlock. If I had any hope of surviving this competition, that hope was all gone.
I could die, because it could violate any regulations the royals May have.
"M—atthew" I shuddered out. He looked back at his dad and pulled me into a seperate room. "What's wrong Anna!?"
"I seen the doctor.."
"Yeah?" His eyes widened. I began to cry so hard I could hardly get the words out. So I turned my back to him, "He said that- that I'm 5 weeks with child." I felt my body shake as I sobbed even harder.
Every noise and movement became motionless in the room. It was like all the air had been sucked out. I turned and looked at Matthew and he had froze. He stared at me and then he looked down. "Stay here."
He backed away and turned. I sat on the chair and cried as hard as I have ever cried in my life. I'm going to die. This is it, I have officially ruined my life. Not with my mouth, but with my actions.
Matthew bursted back through the door and knelt down to me. "Anna, it's okay."
I looked at him. "Anna, listen to me. This is what is going to happen. We are going to transport you to where Liz and my mom is. Father is getting ahold of them now. Anna, they have already made a decision. As of now, they are siding with the side to change everyone. We are moving the family to safety and we were planning on cancelling the end ceremony."
"What's going to happen to the girls?"
"They will be changed and transported to another part of the world. Somewhere, they will be safe. For now you will be moved tonight. My parents know, I told my father everything. He approves. Please don't worry Anna."
I looked at him and he stroked my cheek. He leaned and gave me peck on the lips and hugged me. "Stay here until they come for you. I have to leave and prepare the announcement."
He backed away and I did as he said. Waited.