Sixteen

Finally after 3 hours my ride came. Matthew swooped in and carried me to the car. He hugged me and kissed me. "Anna, be careful please?" I nodded and off we went. For the first time in several months I was going to see what the world looked like. I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty either.
We zoomed by the burnt buildings and cluttered streets. They had begun the changing.
Fires lit in the background and black smoke filled the air.
I put my eyes on my feet, feeling nauseous at the sight that was in front of me. Finally when we got out of the city and into the country I could relax, but only a little.
An hour passed and we were in the next city. It was in the same shape, but this time there were still humans.
Something wasn't right. They saw the black car and began to run after us. I looked back watching them and a panick began to rise in me. Suddenly the car stopped and I pulled my sight to the front of me. We were surrounded. My heart dropped into my stomach. This isn't good, this isn't good.
All of them huddled around the car rocking it back and forth. I began to scream and the driver was panicking with trying press the gas as hard as he could. He couldn't go. He began to panick again and honked the horn.
A human lifted a gun to the window and BOOM. The driver slumped forward and blood was splattered all over the steering wheel and windshield. I let a scream trickle out of me. Panic rose and I began to back myself into the seat. Please don't let them find me.
One of them opened the door and smiled. "Well look who it is."
"Please! Don't hurt me."
"Oh we won't" he began to pull me and out of the car I started kicking. "No!!" I screamed.
Suddenly, I felt something hard hit the back of my head and my vision went black and fuzzy.
————
My eyes fluttered open to a blur. "Shhh" I heard a hoarse ladies voice.
I opened my eyes to see a familiar face coming to me. "C-Caden?"
"Annabeth!" He said quickly.
"What.. where?" I looked around trying to take in my surroundings. I looked to be in a dingy cabin and a lady was leaning over me.
"You was attacked, but luckily we swept in to help."
"Is it that bad?"
"Yes, things are terrible right now. They are moving select humans to breeding grounds and then the rest will be changed. Everyone is rioting and committing suicide."
I gasped, "breeding grounds?"
"To feed everyone darling. They made a fenced city just for certain humans with O blood type. It's said to be the best." The lady said.
"I need to get back to the castle."
"I wouldn't go, they plan on burning and rioting it tonight."
"Matthew.." I sat up.
"He should be fine, he's smart. They will get out i time."
I hugged my belly. What if the same thing happens to him.
Caden looked down at me hand and back up at me. "Are...?"
I nodded. "Ma we have to get her somewhere safe." The older lady looked at him and nodded her head.
"Where was you going darling?" She asked.
"I don't know, where ever the safe place was." She looked at me.
"Caden, lets take her to our safe place. Until we can find where that was at."
They both rose and I tried to follow, but I fell back down. "Somethings wrong!" I hollered in pain.
"You have a concussion."
Caden picked me up and began to carry me. His mom opened the hatch to an underground room. He stepped down into it and to my surprise it was a tunnel. "Won't they just find us?"
"No the tunnels are confusing and hard to navigate. Only the ones who have walked it and know where they are going can navigate." He carried me and we made several different turns.
Finally we ended up at a door. His mother opened the hatch and as we made our way into the room. It actually was a house.
I looked around saw that it was out on a farm next to a cliff.
"You don't think someone will find us?"
"No. No one can get here. It's a private island, the only way is through the passage which is almost impossible to get through."
"What about Matthew?" Panic rose in me as I wished he knew.
Caden looked at his mom, "we are going to figure out a way to get a message to him."
Tears prickled in my eyes. I need him.
"Annabeth, please. Rest."
Caden laid me down on a bed in danky room. I was so use to luxury by now that the look of this room was disgusting. I didn't argue though, because it did provide safety for me. At the moment that meant a lot. I did as Caden asked and got some sleep.
By the time I woke, the pain had subsided. My head stopped aching and I was able to stand. The thirst quenching feeling was so strong in my throat. I tried stumbled out of the room, but I heard Caden speaking.
"...I'm not sure who to side with ma."
"I believe we should side with our species our humans!" She said gruffly.
"But that means we have to hurt her."
"No" she said. I couldn't handle the thirst anymore.  I stumbled out almost begging for a glass of water. They both looked my way shocked and guilty. Hoping I didn't hear anything I assume.
"I'm surprised you didn't sleep any longer." Caden noted.
"Why do you say that?"
"I mean it was a pretty rough hit."
I nodded, trying to remember exactly how everything happened. "Did you get a letter to the castle?"
Caden smiled, "Yes." I felt at ease. I really hope Mathew finds me soon.
My nerves were at an all time high. I needed him. I wanted him.
I walked around the house and made myself comfortable. Something seemed off with Caden and his mom. They huddled at the kitchen table speaking in whispers. I tried to listen in, but soon gave up.
Once again my nerves made me rise up and I decided to go outside.
Honestly the shack was hideous, but the outside was beautiful. The winds hit against my skin hard as I looked around. The place stood on the edge of a cliff, over the ocean. I looked out and saw lights in the distance.
It must be the city.
I sat down feeling the warm ocean wind hit me. The strong force was alarming at first, but now it's comforting. I hope Matthew comes for me soon. I'm not sure about Caden's loyalty as it stands. But I do feel in my heart that can trust him. I hope I can atleast...
———-
1 month later:
Everyday since I arrived I stayed in bed until I couldn't handle the bed anymore. Then I got up I ate and separated myself from Caden. Everyday it felt like he was trying to be smooth with me. It made me uncomfortable, sometimes to the point that my gut ached.
Everyday I asked if he had heard anything or if he knew if the letter arrived. He would always confirm my questions and quickly push the subject away.
I almost heard a conversation between him and his mom, something about the baby and I. Something about him saying it's his. Something about the rebels. Maybe they were trying to protect us, until Matthew could find me.
As my brain noted all these red flags, I knew deep down inside i shouldn't run. As for now I'm safe. Honestly, where could I go? Back in the tunnels? Off of the cliff?
I took my head and heart off of the issue and sat on the edge of the cliff. I watched the waves hit the rocks and watched as the lights flickered in the distance. It was liberating to know that I had some control of falling off of the cliff or staying here. In my place I choose.
I shook my head every time at the thoughts that swirled in my brain.
I just want Matthew to be here. I ached for him. It's been 30 days! One whole month! I'm carrying his child for god sake! And he can't answer the letter and come get me!
Maybe this was his plan? Maybe he's trying to throw me away. My heart sped up and tears prickled in my eyes. No.
What if he didn't make it out on time? What if the rebels got to him? No. No. No.
Liz? What about Liz!?
I couldn't stop the thoughts once they started and I couldn't stop the pending anxiety attacks. I began to cry. I need to find him.
"Is everything okay?" I turned to see Caden standing behind me.
"No. How long have you been standing there?"
"Just long enough to tell you that dinner is done. What is wrong Annabeth?"
"I need Matthew. Don't you understand how it feels? That unwanted feeling. Why hasn't he come yet?"
Caden walked over and sat next to me, "that's how they are Annabeth. Those vampires. They lift you up, use you, then leave you at the most valuable time. The times you actually need them. You don't need him Annabeth. You need me! I can save you and say this baby is ours. Then we can run away and live happily ever after. The rebels will never come." He put his hand on my thigh. Suddenly alarms started pounding in my head.
I scooted his hand away and he looked at me offended, "Caden even if he did abandon me. I don't want someone else to take his place."
"Your so silly to bow down to those vampires so easily. In fact your lucky you didn't die. I saved you. If anyone knew you was carrying his child..." he shook his head thinking about it.
"This child is innocent."
"Not in the eyes of the rebels. That's why you need to come with me."
"So if I don't, are you going to tell them?" I spat at him.
He looked at me in disgust, "Time for dinner."
He got up and stomped away.
I got up getting ready to follow him inside, but suddenly a weird shadow or two in the walls of the house caught my eye.
It looked like there was more than two people. It looked like there was 10-20 people.
I began to panick, I knew Caden was trouble. He was acting weird, because he already told the rebels, to save himself... if I didn't turn to him! I turned and looked at the cliff. I looked down at the waters.
If I go inside I will die. My child will die. There is no doubt about it. I am an enemy.
If I jump I could die, my child could die.
I sat on the edge of the cliff quickly. Could is a big possibly. I have to do what I can to save my baby.
I began to push myself off and before I could make my get away a big hand caught me.
"Where do you think you're going?"
I looked up and flashbacks flooded my mind. The hideous man that held onto me from my escape was the bearded man who pulled me out of the car. He began to chuckle at my fearfulness. "Caden said you were a fiesty one."
"C-Caden?"
"Stupid girl. Never trust people." He pick me up without effort and slung me over his shoulder. I let the loudest scream prickle out of my throat possible. Too my surprise and everyone around me it was actually quiet loud.
The man slammed me on the ground and tied my mouth closed. His nose flared as he angrily looked at me, "Shut the fuck up."
He picked me back up and carried me inside.
As the other men and women gathered around to glare at me. I began to thrash.
He sat me down in the chair and tied me down.
"Here's the problem here Annabeth." He began.
"You are carrying the future Kings child, you are an enemy to us. And you know what that means?"
I began to thrash my body, "that means you die. Your child dies and we will win."
Tears began to stain my cheeks. Suddenly the guy picked up his big hand and rose it high.
I felt the thickness of it as it hit my cheeks. "Don't cry. You should have known better." He spat out. Everyone cheered around us and began to spit at me, "Whore!"
"Traitor to the hunan race!" The shouted.
My heart picked up and the guy grabbed me, "we shall make a spectacle out of you!" He shouted as everyone cheered.