Five

*Example of her dress

Adam smiled as I stepped into my new dress. What can I say? I have to be better than these rumors. The hairdressing team quickly put my hair down into a soft wave and gave me a bolder look with my eyes. They began to bring out jewelry, but I stopped them. "I don't need gems to make myself look beautiful."
"But.." one of them began.
"No. I don't want them to take away from anything I have one." I smiled being firm with my decision. They looked over at Adam and he smiled and nodded. I guess my decision was a good one in his eyes.
Nerves tightened up in my stomach as I took a Shakey breath. Don't pass out, I chanted in my brain.
"You will be okay, trust me when I say: you will be a showstopper Annabeth." He smiled at me in the mirror.
"I hope so." Hazel cleared her throat grabbing our attention. "We are a little late I do believe."
"Then I guess I will be remembered." I stated as I looked at Adam. My confidence shook inside me, but I didn't let anyone see it. Adam even believed it.
I was ready. Instead of waiting like I have been doing for everyone else to move, I did. "Let's go." I said as I made my way down the hallway. Everyone else followed me.
We made it to the front doors and I could hear the music and everyone talking.
"State your name Ms?" A guard said.
"Ms Annabeth Norsome." He turned, opening the loud door. The creak was loud enough to quiet everyone down. They all stopped and stared at the presence that was interrupting them.
I peaked in to see a grand staircase that would lead me to the dance floor.
"I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE MS ANNABETH NORSOME." Everyone waited to see who the late and last lady was. I appeared before their eyes and I immediately seen Ashley. Her eyes were wide and shocked. Shocked I chose this? Shocked I arrived? Shocked I am not the pathetic suicide girl?
No, who should I be for those to remember? The girl who had the confidence enough to defy rules and show up to win this bitch?
I made me way down the stairs not breaking my facial expression. Everyone began to clap and wave at me. I saw others whisper to the one next to them. "She's beautiful."
"Different from the other girls."
"I like her."
Once I got to the bottom of the steps I made my way to stand next to Ashely. She glared at me, but made it her best to seem like she liked me.
"Wow no one else was clapped for like that." Said a girl next to her. Her eyes spoke of defeat.
"Well I'm surprised you even showed up
Honestly." Ashley said
I smiled back at her and didn't break emotion. I didn't even try to respond, because what's the point? She's jealous. I understand it too. I mean, we are literally fight for life. I would be jealous too. I would hate me, but I couldn't stop and bow down. I have to fight for my life too.
A couple of men came up and made their acquaintance with me. Before the king and queen announced their presence I had four dances. Each one of them was quiet nice, but I was glad to get break.
The door was squeaked opened and it caught our attention. The horns began to blare.
"LET US WELCOME OUR MAJESTIES! KING LEONARD AND QUEEN ELIZA.
AND ALONG WITH OUR PRINCE MATTHEW."
My eyes widened as I recognized that face. The face that saved me. Prince.. Matthew.
His eyes scanned the crowd and they landed on me. He smiled as he made his way to his thrown chair. Everyone's eyes including mine followed the family.
The King rose up from his chair and smiled, "Ladies I want to welcome you. This festival is to celebrate you making it this far. May the competition enlighten you and may one of you win!" Everyone cheered and the music started up again.
I felt like my breath had been taken away and then someone gave it back to me again. I glanced up at prince Matthew and I caught his stare on me.
I quickly looked away and looked at Ashley. She smiled as she stared at him, just like the other girls. I looked around and noticed one other girl not admiring him. Lexi.
She looked at me and quickly looked away.
She was wearing a deep blue dress, it was flowy and had long sleeves. Her hair was in a loose updo and she had light make up on. She looked beautiful. I decided to take my confidence a little further and walk over to her. "You look pretty tonight Lexi." She smiled at me, "And so do you."
"I notice that you aren't like the others.." I smiled as I looked around.
"Yeah.." she trailed off. "Same goes to you. Well kind of." I glanced back up at Matthew and his eyes hadn't left me. Lexi noticed too.
"My guess it that you will win the dance with the special guest." She noted.
"What makes you think that?"
"You've had his eyes all night. And you've been the girl with the most dances so far." She looked back at me.
"Really?" I furrowed my eyebrows. That couldn't be, Ive seen other girls dancing several different time with several different partners.
"Yes, trust me." I bowed my head and the sound of a microphone whistling caught everyone's attention. We all covered our ears and looked to see who was making that awful racket.
It was Adam, "Hello everyone. As you all know we have chosen a girl to have a special dance with a special guest. First we will give you our top 3 girls based on several different aspects. First is dress, public opinions, and second your dancing." He looked around. "Give a round of applause to our top 3 girls. In third was Nicki(pink team)." Nicki smiled as everyone clapped. She was a brown headed girl with freckles and she was tall. Atleast 6 foot. Maybe it was the heels?
"In second place was Riley." She was pretty too, She was about average height and she had blonde hair.
"And our top girl is.... Annabeth!" Everyone began cheering as they looked at me. I smiled and nodded at them.
"Annabeth please come up here and see who your special guest will be!"
Everyone clapped and cheered. I walked up to the stage and looked at Adam. He gave me a hug and whispered to me, "Test." He was so quiet and discreet I could hardly tell if he actually said something.
Two guards began to pull in my special guest and knots began to form in my stomach. I don't think this will be good.
Once the man came out of the shadows everyone gasped. He was in chains and looked out of it. He was dirty and wore tattered clothing. "Annabeth, a humble pesant has requested a dance with you." Everyone began to laugh. I looked around and saw the looks on their faces as they laughed. I could tell by the way they acted, they expected me to pubicly deny and humiliate this man.
I looked back at him and he bowed his head. A tear streamed down his face and I could tell he was tired. Tired of life. If I deny him what would it prove? It would show the privalaged that they are above humans. It would show the peasents that they aren't good enough for us.
But if I do accept a dance, it will put all on even grounds and it would show trust between the peasants and I. The rich will be shocked possibly offended. I guess I will answer those questions when they arise. I walked up to the man and everyone began to quiet down a little. "What is your name?" I asked him quietly.
"Caden." He looked away.
"Well, aren't you going to dance with me Caden?" I asked. He looked up shocked. The guards took off his shackles and he kneeled down and asked to dance. I took his hand and he led me to the dance floor. I caught a glimpse of Matthew. He sat up there amused and then I looked around and saw the crowds faces. Shocked.
The music started up and he led me. I wouldn't lie, but he was actually a good dancer. Better than me with lessons. "I'm sorry for the way they treated you Caden. I hope that doesn't signify me."
"Not by any means, if you were like any of them, you would have laughed me off too."
The funny thing is, I wanted to. I did this for my gain. Am I a better person for that? What would the girls do?
The music stopped and we bowed to eachother. My heart felt happy because Caden was a gentle soul, who knew how to dance. Even when all eyes were judging him.
"Thank you" he said.
"No thank you." The guards came to his side and grabbed him and he disappeared.
Everyone clapped and continued on with the music.
I walked back to Lexi and she smiled at me. "Was that good or bad?" I asked.
"Actually, in my opinion, it was good, but then again I'm not sure what everyone else is thinking."
"Do you think any other girls would have danced with him?" Did I make the right choice? Do the right thing?
"No. They are too moved by crowds opinions. I mean you did get a laugh and sneer out of your friend over there."
I looked at Ashley and she was laughing with some other girls at me.
"She isn't my friend. No friend would treat me like that." I noted.
"I would hope she wasn't."
"She used to be, but this experience has changed her."
"Who wouldn't it change though?"
"You're right unfortunately.."
"So when can we go back to our rooms?"
I looked at her and smiled. "I was thinking the same. I'm actually quite hungry."
"Let's leave and get some food then. We are as good as dead, they can't keep us from food." Lexi giggled and I did too. We both followed eachother out to find the kitchen.
After a couple of turns from the ballroom we found it. "Excuse me?" I said to someone as they passed by me. "Oh ma'am! How can I help you?"
"I think we both are feeling hungry." I looked at Lexi and smiled.
"Yes what would you like?"
"Hm.. I'm feeling maybe turkey and some fruit, maybe even some salad!"
"Same!" Said Lexi.
We sat down at the long wooden tables and waited for our food. Which actually didn't take too long.
"This is honestly the craziest thing ever. I really never thought I would be here out of all places and things I could do with my life" Lexi sounded a little disgusted. I looked back up at her, "So you don't want to be here?"
"Honestly, no. I have or had a boyfriend back home and I.. I really do miss him." She looked down avoiding my eye contact. "I'm so sorry Lexi. Honestly this wasn't a choice for me either."
"So you, didn't submit yourself either?"
I shook my head.
"Well, I am glad I'm not the only one."
We both began to eat and giggle at random things we saw tonight and some of the girls we saw tonight. We both were on the same page of lightning to mood as much as possible.
"Are you enjoying the food ladies?" We both looked up to see who it was. My eyes widened as I saw Matthew standing next to the table.
"W..well y-yes" Lexi stuttered out, good I'm not the only one who felt nervous around him.
"I must say that was a remarkable choice you made.. Annabeth. I wasn't expecting it. I'm sure my parents weren't either."
I narrowed my eyes at him. "What other choices could I have made?"
He laughed, "Well you could of told him no.
Or cried and ran away." I thought about it for a second. "Why would I cry and run away?"
"Embarrassment."
"Was that the goal?" I questioned him.
He looked a little taken aback by my approach, honestly my curiosity slipped. Before I could let him say anything I corrected myself. "I apologize your highness. I simply meant was it meant for me to accept the dance?" I'm bad at lying and he could tell. I seen the flash of amused across him face. We were on the same page. It was almost like we could read each others actions and minds.
"Every choice is never right or wrong. It will simply have some type of effect on you good and bad in life." I looked at Lexi and we both nodded. I honestly feel like a dumbass. I messed that up. Probably another test and I failed.
"Well ladies enjoy your dinner. I will be seeing you tomorrow for your interview." He smiled and stepped away.
"Oh my gosh that is tomorrow."
My heart pounded as I remembered. "Doesn't seem like that much time has passed huh?"
"No. And honestly I feel so stupid!"
"It's okay. We all mess up. I think honestly he thought it was amusing. You do have so much confidence, so it always seems like you are sure of yourself." She noted.
"Really?" I honestly don't feel that way. I feel like I'm constantly messing something up or I'm not enough.
"Yes, you are pretty much the strongest girl I've seen so far with this competition. It almost made me think you wanted this."
"Wow..." I shook my head. "That's unexpected."
Lexi continued working on her plate. "I think I'm going to go to bed. I have a lot of things to think of for tomorrow."
"Okay, see you tomorrow."
I got up and rushed back to my room. I sat down on the bed and sighed. Wow.
I felt so mentally drained. Pretending to be strong and confident is exhausting. Analyzing every possible move and plan is exhausting.
Staying alive is exhausting.