Twenty One

It was as if slowing down the world was the answer to everything. Everything had a purpose and we had all the time in the world to figure out what that purpose was.
I widened my eyes and sat up slowly. I felt the bulge in my belly had disappeared. I looked around and Hazel was sitting beside my bed holding something. She smiled at me and my heart fluttered. "My baby."
She handed me the baby. "It's a boy." She said smiling. I looked at him and it was as if my world was complete. He was handsome, he was my everything. I began to cry and hugged him. "I love you." I whispered.
"What's his name?" Hazel smiled.
"Lane. His name is Lane, after my sister Lany." His red eyes looked back at me, but this time they didn't scare me.
Lane feel asleep in my arms and suckled on his bottle.
"Hazel."
"Yes?"
"Is he.. a?"
"Yes, he's a little bit of both. The vampire part will come out more as he gets older."
I thought about it and my throat began to quench. The thirst was terrible. I looked at hazel frazzled and she quickly handed me a cup of blood. I drank it down quickly. "I still feel so thirsty."
"You will for awhile." She handed me another cup.
"Does Matthew know?"
"Yes, he's on his way."
"I thought vampires are supposed to be fast?"
"Well, he's... he's here. He's just waiting."
"On?"
"You."
I looked at her and nodded my head. She went to the door and opened and Matthew leaned against the door frame.
He looked at me with shock. I assume if I saw myself I would be shocked too.
"Are you surprised that I'm still alive?" I said with a gross look at him.
He walked over and looked at me with sad eyes, "I'm sorry... im so sorry Annabeth." Tears slipped down his face and he looked away from me.
"Why would you think that way Matthew?"
He shook his head, "I'm just trying to be as good of a king as my father and it's not working."
"Matthew look at me!" His gaze quickly met mine, "don't even think you aren't a good king. You're amazing! And you don't need to be like your father. He wasn't that great of a king. The people hated him."
Matthew looked away, and until now it hit me. He wasn't trying to live up to his father's name, but make his father proud. All this time I never had the chance to get to know his father or mother. I never had been able to see their relationship. Now seeing this, I assume Matthew and his father were close. They had to be. I did the only thing I knew I could do. I got up and walked to him. I looked up and held his face, "Matthew.. your dad would be so proud of you. Your the first king in 500 years to have a baby with a human wife and that wife to survive."
I handed Lane to him and Matthews eyes watered at the sight of his son. I could see his heart fill with the joy he's been longing for. He smiled as he looked down.
For the first time in a long time, my heart filled with all the joy I could ever feel. I loved Lane more than anything and I loved Matthew.
Matthew looked at me, "Annabeth, I've already made my decision and I've had it made for a really long time now. I want you to be my queen."
"Only if you promise to never do that to me ever again." He chuckled, "I promise."
"Please come live with me again?"
"I will, but I want the castle to be rebuilt."
Matthew nodded, "Okay."
He took my hand and led me back to the car.
——-
Today we plan on announcing to the world about Lane. Matthew was worried that it would put him in danger, but a woman has told me many times in my dreams that everything would be okay.
As Matthew stood with me in front of the cameras, us as King and Queen, we held lane and Matthew made the announcement. Adam sat behind the camera smiling at us. Not only had Lane made a difference in my life and Matthews, but he has changed the spirits of everyone around him. Including the queen and Liz. They loved him.
Even when I happened to run into Ashley, her jealousy had disappeared and she was happy. She hugged me and held Lane. To my shock..
she had also found another man. Someone who was perfect for her.
After the announcement, Matthew and I went back to our room and sat there. His anxiety made him pace as he awaited the reaction from the world. "I don't know Anna, why would the humans care about a vampire baby?"
"Because Matthew, he's not just a vampire baby, he's a human baby as well. He shows that we can live together in peace. And those who want to change can."
Matthew sighed, "you're right. I just hope they think you are too."
A knock pulled us from our conversations and it was Adam. "Your highnessess." He bowed.
"Yes?" Matthew said.
"I think Annabeth was right."
"You mean?" I stood up.
"The world has calmed down. Just like... magic." He smiled. I looked at Matthew and he hugged me. "I love you."
"I love you too" I whispered.