Seventeen

My held hung down as drool and blood poured from it, hitting the dusty floorboards. The man had already hit me 4 times and I felt like I was going to die before he got to 10.
I didn't answer his questions the right way.. then SLAP.
I began to sob, "Please, please stop."
He chuckled, "I can't Annabeth. You know why? I have to fight for my family, myself, and these people you see around you. If we don't figure this out, we can lose this war."
"I CANT HELP YOU! I barely know there is a war!" I shouted at him.
He picked up his fist not believing me and let it hit my face once again.
I felt the wind blow out of me.I felt weak and afraid. How much more can my body take?
Suddenly, the old wooden door slammed opened. "STOP!" A deep voice echoed against the thin walls of the shack.
My vision was fading in and out. I couldn't hang on or put together exactly what was happening, but I assume it wasn't good. Everyone's faces held the look of horror as the intruder revealed himself. I felt two hands touch me and the ropes came lose. Those are familiar, Matthew.
I felt his finger swoop under my chin to pull my vision up to him. "Anna" he held me. "I'm here, I found you. I'm here." He held me tight.
I lifted my weak arms and grabbed his neck. "Matthew." I sobbed.
My weak body was fading quickly.
"Matthew..." I sighed out with one of my last few breaths.
"No. No. No! Anna stay with me, for our baby, stay with me!"
Things became blurry. My ears became blurry. Shouting was being projected in the distance and I was being moved.
I looked ahead and a girl stood in the distance watching me. A glow surrounded her. It was her, my beautiful sister. "Lany." I croaked out. "Sweet beautiful Lany."
She smiled at me, "oh Annabeth. It's not your time. You have so much to do."
"I can't do it anymore Lany."
"Yes you can! You have to! Annabeth, you need to do this. For me and for the baby."
She took her small hand and held my face, "I love you Annabeth. Please forgive yourself, you must do that to become strong. Nothing was your fault."
"Lany..." tears began to swell in my eyes and she smiled at me. "You are strong Annabeth." She leaned down and kissed my cheek. With that everything became dark and clouded. If I was dead, I didn't know. If I was alive, I didn't know either.
———-
Those first deep breaths felt so amazing. Before I opened my eyes I felt all around me. It was a soft bed, with silk sheets. My eyes fluttered open and Matthew leaned over me.
"Annabeth." He whispered leaning in closer.
"How did you know?" I croaked.
"What do you  mean?"
"How did you know I wasn't at the castle? How did you know I was there?"
"Well, when you left I made sure to put a tracker on the vehicle. We watched occasionally making sure the car kept moving. Around 2, I noticed it stopped. It didn't move anymore. I panicked and sent my men out. They came back with a report that the driver was killed and you had disappeared. My father and I swept the area and the whole countryside looking for you.
We ended up getting on board and looking in caves. Out of no where one of the men heard a loud booming scream coming from the cliff you had been on. I knew someone had to be there. We quickly made our way towards the cliff and looked around the shack. I... I saw you... sitting in the chair. That's.. when I busted in." He began to cry.
"I thought you was going to die Annabeth. I gave you so much blood. Finally, you relaxed and slept. I thought I was going to lose you again and this time forever."
I put my hand up to his cheek and held his face, "What happened to the people?"
"They are all gone."
I felt sad for them, but at the same time I felt satisfied. They all deserved what they got.
"I missed you Matthew, they said they sent a letter to you. And I though you abadnard me for the longest time."
"I would never Annabeth." He leaned forward and put his hand on my chest.
My anxiety left as he leaned up and kissed me. His soft lips explored mine and I felt complete.
I pulled away quickly and stroked his cheek, "What are the plans?"
"Well, we announced the choice made by my father... technically. The people are split. Very angry, but they are slowly changing. The ones who rebel are going to the feeder camps."
I shook my head. Not completely agreeing with the feeder camp idea.
Someone, Adam busted through the door in tears, "Your majesty!" He was out of breath.
We both raised quickly, "What is it Adam?" I said.
"Your majesty." He fell too the ground sobbing. My heart panicked and began to pick up. I knew this wasn't going to be good.
Matthew lurched forward and grabbed Adam, "What is it?!"
"The....king... is dead! The rebels killed his crew... they killed him!"
My eyes widened and I looked at Matthew. He was frozen in place. I began to cry and sat my lifeless body back down. "They are growing stronger." I shook my head.
"What are we going to do! We are all going to die!" Adam screeched.
We both looked at eachother, feeling foolish as our panick allowed tears to come down.
"No!" Matthew said sternly.
He looked at Adam, "It's time."
He dropped Adam from his grip and walked out the door.
"What does he mean?" I asked
"He will be crowned and now it's time to pick... a queen."
My eyes widened. This is real.