[18]

A T H E N A

"Hello, May!" My dad says, embracing his sister.

"Hey, Aunt May." I say whilst she gives me a little hug.

"Hey Uncle Rich, Eben, Charlie, Charles... Alex." I say talking to the kids.

They all greet me in response apart from Alex who just stands there glaring at me.

"And who's this?" Aunt May asks, finally noticing Daniel.

"This is Daniel." I say.

"Pleasure to meet you." Alex, says extending her hand.

Daniel nods his head and briefly shakes her hand.

"Well, why won't he talk?" Aunt May asks.

"He's mute." I mumble.

Aunt May looks him up and down and sighs. "Oh."

"Hey Thena, why don't you take the kids up to your room." My dad suggests.

"Sure." I answer.

Ten minutes later the seven of us (Daniel, Charlie, Charles, Eben, Corbyn, Jack and I) were piled awkwardly in my bedroom.

"Hey Daniel." Alex says.

Daniel looks at her then me then back at her and raises his eyebrow.

"How old is he?" Alex asks, talking to no one in particular with her eyes still on Danny.

"18." Corbyn says.

Alex smirks and sits back in her chair.

Danny edges closer to me which earns a glare from Alex.

Around half an hour later the party has finally started and I invited Zach, Christina and Gabbie. We were all talking but I hadn't seen Jack around in a long time.

"Hey Gabs? Do you know where Jack is?" I ask.

"Why?" She counters.

"Just wondering." I reply.

She looks like she's trying to figure something out in her head but in the end just shrugs. "No haven't seen him."

I sigh and go looking for him. I check the bathroom first but don't find him there so I check in my room. Jack's not there but I do find Eben.

"Hey Eb."

"Oh hey, Thena!" He smiles.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask.

He blushes. "Oh um... I'm just talking to my girlfriend Meredith."

I look from him to the phone and surely enough there's a girl with Auburn hair and green eyes covered by her glasses.

"Oh um... I'm sorry to interrupt, I'll be going." I say whilst leaving the room.

I then go out to the garden to see Jack sitting on the swing staring into space.

"Hey Jack?"

He jumps and turns to face me. I can see the remainder of tears on his face and I want to comfort my friend.

I also notice that he's been really pale lately and his cheeks have become more hollow.

"What's wrong, Jack?" I ask, quietly.

He shakes his head and gets up to leave but I grab ahold of his hand.

"Just know that if there is something wrong, I'm always here to help." I whisper to him whilst hugging him.

He hugs back and nods before walking away.

Suddenly Daniel comes over and shows me his phone.

We need to talk. I've got something important to tell you.

¡☆🎲☆¡