first december

It's December and Holt is showing me pictures

It snowed yesterday and he went out to take pictures. He's got a decent phone so he takes all of them on it. They're actually really damn good. I've noticed this on his instagram. He does take really good pictures. I mean, I get why people started to follow him for his pecs, but he's more than just a hot piece of ass.

He's explaining to me how he took the pictures and why he took these specific ones and there's a light in his eyes I've never seen before when he does.

His business major is definitely not making him this happy. Whenever he's doing college work, it's hilarious because sometimes he'll just walk out of his room and start pacing around the apartment, pulling at his hair and kind of mumbling to himself. I'm glad he's gotten comfortable enough around me to do that now. I'm pretty sure he used to just pace around his room during the first month we lived together.

"Is it too late for you to change major?" I wonder out loud.

He takes his phone back. "Why are you asking?"

"Get a journalism major with a business minor. The business aspect will help with building your own brand. And take an elective photography class, you're already good at it, but maybe just to get specific pointers. Become a photographer. I'll help you. I have contacts."

Holt's cheeks sort of redden and he's staring at his phone and chuckling a little, like he's uncomfortable with me saying those things. As far as I know I didn't tell him I wanted to gobble his dick, so I don't know why he's being shy about this. "Oh don't worry, I don't need help. I like taking pictures, but it's not something I can do seriously."

I raise my eyebrows. Unbelievable. "Why not?"

He shrugs one shoulder, and he still hasn't looked in my eyes. "Because it's just not a job reliable enough. My dad would be pissed."

Now I'm the one that's a little pissed. I can't believe he'll make important choices about his own life because his dad might not like it. It's not his dad's life. It's Holt's life. "So what? You won't be doing something you like because your father doesn't approve?"

He shrugs again. "It's fine, I'm used to it."

"You're wrong. It's not fine."

I get him a camera for Christmas. A fancy ass camera that cost me way too much money. He feels totally bad about it, but I don't care.

"Just take good pictures," I tell him, "and really think about changing major."

Just because I'll never kiss the boy doesn't mean I shouldn't want what's best for him.