first august

It's August and Holt found a wounded bird outside

It's August and Holt found a wounded bird outside. He runs back to our apartment cradling it in his hands.

He's freaking out. "It's not a baby so it's fine if I touched it, right? His mom isn't going to abandon him? You need to call that dude you've been seeing!"

"The pre-med guy?" I ask, because that's the only one that might make sense.

"Yes!"

I roll my eyes. "He's pre-med, not a vet."

"Then we need to get to a vet," Holt presses.

"Let me just get my keys," I tell him, and try to hurry.

While he waits for me, he grabs his hoodie and makes a little nest with it to put the bird in.

He's freaking out during the whole car ride. "Please. Please, please, please can you hurry? I can't tell if it's tired or dying. I can't tell how bad it is. Hurry please, I don't want it to die."

It's a miracle I don't get arrested.

The vet looks at Holt weirdly when he says he found it outside and that no, it's not his pet bird. Vets are expensive after all. But I guess Holt didn't think about that. He just thought about saving the bird.

The vet takes care of it. I pay the bill when Holt isn't looking. We bring the bird back to our apartment.

When it can fly again on its own and it's in good shape, Holt lets it go.

"Didn't you want to keep it? It's kind of yours now," I ask, thinking about the monstrous vet bill.

Holt just shakes his head with a little smile on his lips. "It was never mine. And now it's free again."

Before that I was just basically lusting over the dude. Sure, I was obsessed and pretty infatuated, but it was mostly fuelled by my whoremones.

I was just lusting him before. After that incident though, I'm pretty sure that's when I started to really fall love with him.