fourth october

It's October and Holt and I go to a Halloween party.

Holt hasn't been particularly down since he's opened up to me about his family. He's talked a little bit more about his father, how much of an asshole he is, how he treated him like trash after his football injury, but none of this is old news to him, so it hasn't really affected how he feels.

It's affected how I feel though. I know I shouldn't be feeling like protecting Holt more than usual. He's a big boy. He can take care of himself. And he doesn't need me to constantly cheer him up, because again, he's always an overly enthusiastic puppy. What he told me shouldn't change the way I act around him.

But now I just feel like I always need to hug him, not because I'm attracted to him but because I want to comfort him. It's not about me and making me feel good, it's about him and making him feel better.

So, lately I've been trying as much as I can to distract him and entertain him, so when someone from the web newspaper I still work at decides to throw a Halloween party, I figured I should drag Holt to it.

I lend him one of my old costumes. I did use to go over the top at Halloween when I was in college so I have too many. I had to assure him that I had it clean though. Anyway, so here is Holt dressed like a SWAT policeman and of course a man in uniform is sexy so Holt in uniform is god damn irresistible.

And he's a little pouty because I don't think he really wanted to go out today, he would have rather stay in, wearing his sweatpants while watching Supernatural. Of course, pouty Holt is god damn irresistible too.

I introduce him to people he doesn't know and I try to make sure he's having fun and after a couple of hours he's smiling and chatting with people and he seems happy, so I'm happy and then I go to the bathroom and when I come back he's speaking with a girl, but like way too close. Too close to just be casually talking about the weather.

And it hurts me, but I kind of brought it on myself, I should have figured this was a possible outcome by bringing sexy Holt to a party.

Normally, I would probably be a noisy bitch and go interrupt them, but this isn't about me. If this is what Holt wants, I'm not going to get in the middle of it.

And he's smiling at the girl and he seems happy and like he's having fun, so I grab a drink and go sit in a corner, contemplating all of my life decisions that have brought me to this moment.

Holt leaves with the girl. I smile at him and tell him to have fun.

But inside, I'm screaming.