first july

It's July and there's a heat wave

It might have been bearable if our AC hadn't decided to suddenly diiiiie. It's crazy hot and unbearable and Holt and I are actually laying down on the floor of the kitchen because the tiles are cool.

"This is inhuman," I moan.

"I knoooooow."

"I'm a puddle of transpiration."

"Does your boyfriend have AC?"

"Dave?" I ask. I'm seeing this dude. He's a magician and he's always doing bits when we have sex, saying he'll show me a magic trick he can do with his wand. It's getting a little redundant, but his wand is nice, so I've let it last longer than I normally would. Also, having sex with him, helps keeping my mind off of the actual guy I would want in my bed. But that's really all he is. A distraction. "He's not my boyfriend, and I guess he does, but I really don't want to spend more time than necessary with him."

Holt snorts. "Now that's true love."

I'd kick him if it didn't mean moving and creating more heat. "Whatever, what about you? I haven't seen your girlfriend around in a while? Does she have air conditioning?"

"You mean Mandy?" I can hear the frown in his voice. "I haven't seen her in like two months."

I suddenly don't care about being hot, I sit up a little. "Wait, you're not dating her anymore?"

"We weren't ever actually dating."

I'm beyond ecstatic so I try to cover my giddiness with a rant, "See, this is everything that's wrong with our generation. We're craaaazy about defining our sexuality but unable to define our relationships."

"Sexuality is you. Relationship is other people. It's easier to define you," Holt simply answers.

"Says the heterosexual white man," I reply and he snorts at that. "Uuuuugh," I moan again and then get on my feet. I've had it with this heat.

"Why are you moving?" Holt whines.

"Get up, Smooches, I'm pretty sure I still have the key pass of a guy I was seeing to get in the hotel where he works and they have pool."

"You want us to go crash a hotel pool?" Holt asks, laughing a little incredulously, but he's getting up.

"Not game?" I challenge him with a smirk.

"If we get arrested I'll tell them you kidnapped me." If I was going to kidnap you sweetie I wouldn't be bringing you in a crowded pool.

The key pass still works and we get to the pool. We do almost get in trouble, but Holt sweet talks our way out of it. I didn't think that was something Holt could do, but I guess the guy can always surprise me.