Christmas

WOW... this is a request from @ohwnojo... from 2016 😬, but better late than never right?

**********************************
The chill of an early winter tingled my spine, but I couldn't help but to believe that it was also caused by something else. This Christmas is the first Christmas I'm spending with Sherlock's family. To say the least, my anxiety is through the roof. Will his parents approve of me? Will they think I'm pretty enough? More importantly, will they think I'm smart enough?

All these thoughts were racing through my head when all of a sudden I smelled a familiar fragrance.

"Love, I already told you, they're going to love you." He said rubbing my shoulders, trying to sooth me.

"How do you know, Lock? You're not them." I said trying to keep my nerves from hindering my speech.

"Look, if I'm wrong, then I'll let you do what you've been wanting to do for so long now." He uttered almost incoherently.

I, smirking deviously, looked up to look my partner in the eyes, "You mean you'll let me play with the eyeballs in the fridge!?"

Rolling his eyes he reluctantly replied, "Yes... but don't touch the head!"

"A deal is a deal."

*Time skip to arrival*

Turning down a cobblestone pathway, I looked at the lonely house uneasily. I was not able to hold still the whole trip there, and seeing the house did not put me at ease, as you can imagine.

Sherlock places a tender hand on my thigh, "Its okay love, you'll do just fine."

I couldn't muster up any words so I just grinned back at him in reply.

Finally, he parked the car and I convinced myself to get out. I straightened my composure and started to constantly reaffirm my position as Sherlock's girlfriend in my head. "It's okay, he chose you. You're the first and the last (hopefully). You'll be fine. You speak to old people all the time!" With a breath of shaky confidence, I strode to the door hand-in-hand with my beloved. We continued to knock on the door and not long after, I was swept up in warm, comforting arms.

"You must be (Y/N)! Oh, it is so lovely to meet you! Come in, come in!" Sherlock's mother proclaimed, "She's much prettier in person." She said subconsciously.

"Ahh, you must be the misses! How are you love?" His father said with a wink, holding me back by my arms so he could get a full idea of what I am. 

"I'm doing just lovely, sir. And you?"

"Ohh, there's no need to call me sir, you can just call me Mr. Holmes." He stated grinning peacefully.

"Consider it a deal, Mr. Holmes." I said winking at him.

"And what do we have here?" A snidely voice said from the kitchen.

"Well, Mycroft, if you could look past that behemoth of a nose on your face, maybe you could see that it was my girlfriend. Or are you too busy with your head up your ass to even do that?" Sherlock wittily replied.

"Alright now boys, there's no need to start this nonsense, not with such great company around." Mrs. Holmes quickly scolded.

Both the boys just rolled their eyes, knowing not to say anything more.

*Time skip to dinner*

"Would you like anymore peas, (Y/N)?" Asked Mrs. Holmes.

"No, thank you. I'm quite satisfied with this lovely food on my plate. It's all so delicious!" I said, not trying to devour everything on my plate like a black hole. You see, it's not everyday that I get to eat a proper meal. Sherlock tried his best, but he is not that great at cooking, and I simply dont have enough time after work, so most nights it's takeout.

"So, (Y/N), what do you do to get by?" Mr. Holmes asked.

"Oh, I'm a journalist. That's actually how me and Lock met. I was working a case of his and I refused to be walked all over him, he eventually saw that I was never going to let up." I said smirking over at my detective. The corner of his lip slightly lifted while he was indulging in his mother's cooking.

"Psshh, a journalist? I didn't know Sherlock has an affinity for the no good, lying, yellow journalists.." Mycroft said dignified.

"Mycroft!" Yelled Mr and Mrs. Holmes at once.

"Oh no, it's perfectly okay," I quipped, "I wouldn't expect a man that is so obsessed with covering his bald spot and losing all the weight he gained from an unhealthy obsession with cake to understand the real narrative that is provided by the local press. I see why you're in government. You'd rather cover the truth than let it roam free."

Sherlock and his parents were grinning ear to ear.

"Why you insolent... aren't you going to say anything!?" Mycroft screamed, searching for validation of his previous statement.

"Well son, you did ask for it," said Mr. Holmes, "And might I add, the lass has a keen mind and a great wit to come up with such a hilarious reply." He chuckled a little at the memory.

"Indeed, that's why I I made her my girlfriend." Sherlock said proudly, gazing upon me with nothing but love.

Mycroft, after realizing he was fighting a losing battle, quickly stormed upstairs from the dinner table.

"He was always such a baby." Sherlock commented.

Sherlock's parents and I just rolled our eyes at the toddler-like behavior.

"Well, if you'll excuse us, I have to show my girlfriend around the home." Sherlock said smirking while standing up from the table.

Grabbing my hand, he pulled me upstairs to, what I presumed, was his old bedroom.

"What are you doing?"

"Laying down with you, what else would we be doing?"

"I was just curious."

Flopping down on his old, full sized bed, he pulled me down and wrapped me in his warm embrace. After a few moments of silence, he lifted my chin ever so slightly with his index finger and made eye contact.

"What you did today was absolutely brilliant. I've never seen my parents light up at someone as much as they had at you." He told me kissing my forehead.

I took in the moment before I replied, "Can I still play with the eyeballs in the fridge?" I said giving my best pouty face.

Chuckling he replied, "Ill think about it, but for now, let's go to sleep."

Taking off our shoes, we were too tired to change. We quickly snuggled under the blankets and closed our eyes to sleep.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you more," I replied.

He held me a little tighter at that comment, and I went to bed with happy thoughts. His parents do like me. Smiling, I drifted into a peaceful sleep.