Chapter One

I stared at the back of his head, just like I did every day. His hair looked so soft, it was right at his neckline in natural layers that fell back into place no matter how much he pushed his hair back. Since I was placed behind him in class, I had to fight the urge to touch his hair, it was one of my weird habits everyone knew about, I liked touching people's hair without asking. That was Rita Allen for you, the hair touching fiend and her twin brother Raymond Allen always slapping her hand away.

The hair I stared at now was the one head that was off limits. I couldn't touch him, look at him or even think of him for as long as I lived. I swore it on the River Styx. Yes, the mythical River Styx. Ray and I had been swearing on the River Styx since we were six. It was our most sacred, unbreakable promise to each other. Raymond was my twin, he was older by five minutes and never let me forget it. He is also my best friend, partner in crime, partner in life, ultimate secret keeper, and body guard. Everything Ray did, I did and that included hating the same people.

This head in front of me belonged to Matthew Picton, whom Ray considered to be his enemy. It started in Junior High, they just never got along from the beginning. The final straw was Matthew stealing Ray's girlfriend. That led to a fist fight. I was there when it happened and I didn't do anything to stop it, but when I saw Matthew the next day, I wish I had. Both of his eyes were black and blue, his nose was broken and whistled when he breathed. Raymond had a black eye and a few bruises on his face. After that, I swore my most sacred promise to Ray, the above-mentioned actions. Not like I spoke to Matthew anyway. What Raymond didn't know and would probably never know, is how badly I wanted to talk to Matthew Picton.

About a month ago Ray got a girlfriend, one he actually took seriously for a change. Girls tended to fall at his feet and he enjoyed it. People called us the Strange Twins, our hair was as black as night, mine long and wavy, his short and pushed back with a ton of gel. Our eyes are what people said made us look attractive, they were light green, people often thought they were grey. We used to get called vampires because our skin was so pale at times. In the summer was the only time our skin really tanned. Point is people wanted to talk to us because we were 'strangely attractive' they would say. Well talk to Ray, there weren't guys flocking around me because Ray was six two and lean solid muscle with a protective instinct for his little sister.

So, back to this new girlfriend Ray has, her name is Maggie, and I like her. So, when she asked me for permission to actually spend time with Ray alone, I said okay. Now that Ray was dating, he spent most of his time with Maggie and I spent most of my time alone and depressed, but I didn't tell Ray because he seemed happy, and I wanted him happy.

Last Friday I went to the movies alone and just as the movie was about start someone sat right next me as if there weren't a ton of open seats in the theater.

"Don't think I have ever seen you without your brother."

I turned my head to see Matthew Picton in all his glory sitting next to me. One thing I would never tell Ray is, what Ray was to these girls, Matthew was to me. He didn't have as many girls falling all over him, but I knew he could get a girlfriend with no problem.

I stayed silent.

"You aren't allowed to talk to me, are you?" He smirked showing his dimple on his right cheek.

I took a minute to think if I should break my promise, it was only one time and I would never tell Ray and I know Matthew would never talk to me in school either.

"I'm not, why are you sitting here?"

He shrugged, "You looked lonely. I have never seen you without Ray."