Chapter Three

"Who do you keep texting?" Ray asked me as he drove us to the store to pick up groceries for mom.

"Mind your business Ray, I'm texting a friend."

"We have all the same friends!"

"Yeah, by your design, can you focus on the road! You sound like a jealous boyfriend."

I was actually texting Matthew about last night and how I had a good time even though he ruined it by kissing me. He apologized and said it wouldn't happen again.

When Monday came, I found myself itching to get to school, I knew I couldn't talk to him, but I still wanted to see him. Just as quick as I thought that to myself, I realized how excited I was for something that would never work and probably wasn't turning into anything more than a kissing session. Just because he kissed me back, doesn't mean I should expect anything more from it. I needed to remind myself this was all just fun, games and cheesecake with the occasional ice cream. I honestly believed he did all of this because he knew Ray was always busy with his new girlfriend now and he sensed I was lonely.

When I got to second period Matthew was talking to the girl that usually sat next to him, I think her name is Anita, I was bad with names. She was laughing hysterically at something he said and looking at him with flirty eyes, I stayed quiet and sat at my desk minding my own business.

"Hey, a few of us are heading to see a movie tonight, want to come with me?" She had asked Matthew just as I sat down.

He didn't make it obvious, but I saw him glance at me. "Nah, I can't, I have plans at The Cheesecake Factory tonight." He turned around in his desk and I noticed him take out his phone.

You've ruined me for others, thanks for that. Was the message he sent me.

You should go, I think she likes you. I replied.

Maybe I'd rather see you, even if my kissing was terrible, I'd prefer your company.

I held in my laugh behind him. Well don't let me keep you from having any of your suitors.

Maybe I am trying to be suitor for a change.

I don't think you should be in this case, it's the path of trouble.

That is my decision, for as long as you will allow it to be.

Listen, I don't know what is happening here or why, but please remember we aren't dating, that can't happen. I don't want anyone getting into any fights. I think you should go to the movies Anita (I think that's her name). I think she likes you.

No, you listen Rita (and yes Anita is her name) I have had a crush on you since I was in Junior High, I am not going to toss aside what I know I felt on Friday, for Anita, who is just looking for arm candy. Unless you tell me you feel nothing and don't want to hang out anymore, I am not going anywhere with Anita. If you want to hang out, I will be there. I won't give you a terrible kiss, but I will hope that you have a good time.

I sat there for a minute trying to process what I had just read. Matthew Picton liked me, longer than I liked him. I didn't know how to respond to this new development, so I just pretended like it never happened. But Anita likes you.... I replied.

Does that mean you don't?

No, but it would mean choosing between you and Raymond, I can't do that.

You don't have to tell him. I don't look forward to another broken nose, but I will if I must.

Cut it out, I don't want you guys to fight, I don't want him to be upset with me. We just met, its not too late to start taking someone else out. I wouldn't be mad, I promise.