Chapter Twenty-Three

"Dad knows." I announced when we sat down for breakfast.

"Knows what?" Ray said.

"About you and Victor. He asked me about the boy in your bed this morning when I came down for water. Tried to pretend I didn't know what he meant, but he said you were and I quote, going to hate everyone you dated or start dating men at some point."

I could see a slight panic in Ray's face.

"Yeah not so fun coming out now is it?" I teased. "Dinner is at seven, we're all invited."

We all sat at the dinner table awkwardly avoiding each other's eyes. I looked at Matthew and he gave me a look that said to say something.

"How did your errands go today, Dad?" I didn't know what else to ask.

"Uh, they were fine. Finalizing plans for my next trip." I nodded understanding even though I still had no idea what my Dad did for work. "So, how long have you two been seeing each other?"

"I don't know six or seven months, I kind of lost track." I told him.

Everyone looked at me and Ray snickered at me.

"Babycakes, I was talking to your brother." My Dad smiled. "I know how long you and Matthew have been dating."

"Oops, never mind." I said.

"About two months." Ray answered.

"Victor," My Dad said and Victor snapped his head up, "Now I don't know what my kids have told you or how often you have been around here, but I just want to let you know, if my kids trust you, I trust you. Matthew came in a rather unconventional way, but from the first day he showed up, he has treated my daughter right and he will always be welcome in my home. I know I am not here much and my kids run the show, and that's fine, but I expect my kids to be respected by their partners, I don't care if it is a man or a woman."

"Daddy," I stopped him, "Victor is great, I think Ray needs a talking to about how to treat Victor." I said. Ray looked at me and rolled his eyes.

"Really, Rita?" Ray said. "I said I wouldn't do it again, no need to tell Dad."

"What did Ray do Honey Bear?" My dad gave Ray the side eye.

"He kept trying to force Victor to come out, even though he wasn't ready. They got into like this huge fight." I said.

"Yeah, then she yelled at me and told me I was wrong and if I didn't fix it, she wouldn't talk to me."

My Dad laughed, "I hate to tell you Ray, but Rita has been upping you lately. First that fight where she got you good, now she's threatening to not talk to you. This is who you raised."

As odd of a thing as it was for my father to acknowledge he had almost no part in really raising me, I was used to it. I am used to it being how our family is and this is who we are. We have admitted our faults and come to terms with them the best we could. This was what we had left.

"Maybe when I have my own kids, I'll just give them to Rita to raise so they can talk back to her." Ray taunted.

"Now, on a serious note, Raymond Allen, I don't want to hear of you disrespecting this boy in any way again. Or any boy for that matter." My Dad said sternly.

Ray sighed and rolled his eyes. My Dad never said his full first name unless he meant business. "Yes, sir."

Not too long after dinner my grandmother texted me asking if she could come that weekend. I of course told her she could.

When Matthew and I went to lay down, I turned to face him.

"Matthew?"

"Yes, my love?" he said with his arms wrapped around me.

"Have you been okay? I know things get crazy and sometimes I forget to check on you and I am sorry for that."

I looked up to see him smile, "Everything is fine. My mom is good, my Dad is back home, so she is happy about that. She always asks about you and hates when I tell her that you aren't doing good. But I promise I am good. If there is ever a time I am not, you will be the first to know."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

I reached my lips up his and realized it had been longer than it should have been since the last time I kissed him. We both found ourselves feeling the same emotion and he wrapped his arms tighter around me pulling me closer. I found my way to the edge of his shirt and pulled it off. Once he pulled mine off, I went to lock my door and made sure we were as quiet as possible.

On the way to school the next day, which was a Friday, Victor shocked us all in the car ride.

"I think, I'm ready." he said to us. Ray almost drove off the road.

"To?" I said.

"Go public in school. Vivian and Adriana have been encouraging me to. Then your dad last night, like everything has been so positive. Not that I think school will be a positive experience, but the important people know, except my parents. But that is a problem for another day."

Ray nodded, "Okay, if you're ready, I'm ready." he took Victor's hand and held it the rest of the way to school.

Ray let Victor decide how everything would happen and he decided they wouldn't actually say anything, just act how they wanted to act with each other and let the people talk as they always did. Ray agreed with him and let Victor lead the way. They walked into school that day holding hands and I have never seen either of them happier and more comfortable around each other before. It was like they were glowing together.

Matthew watched me and kissed my forehead while I watched them walk in front of us. "I think it is adorable how in love you are with your brother dating Victor. They haven't been together three months and you are already acting like he is your brother-in-law."

"Maybe one day. I mean, he is one of us, he has been for a while now. Even before he started dating Ray."

I watched as people paused in the hallway and eyes shot down to their hands and people contemplating if they should ask questions. No one had the guts to say anything. Until Marie came along.

"Hey Ray," She stopped in front of them and looked down, "Oh cool are you guys dating?" she said.

"Yeah, yeah we are." Ray confirmed as if were very hard for him to do. But I could see he was relieved to finally say it.

"Nice, it's about time someone else come out at this stupid school." Ray and Victor looked at each other. I thought Marie was new, I had no idea who she was dating. "I was looking for you yesterday, I had a few ideas for our project."

"Oh, yeah, let me give you my number so next time you can just text me. We can set up some time to work on the project at my house if you want." Ray told her.

And just like that the day started that Ray and Victor came out to the school.