Chapter Seventeen

On the day of the talent show Matthew was so excited. The night before he told me that he hoped it would help me feel a little bit better and just him saying that helped. I had been such a crying mess the last few weeks, I could tell it was torturing Matthew, but I couldn't help it. My mind reeled constantly, but today was about him. He had been so excited about whatever he was doing for the talent show that I didn't want to ruin it or make him worry.

Matthew refused to let me see him before the talent show. Victor went with him to his house and helped him do his hair and Ray and I met him at the school. Matthew went early to get us good seats in the front row saved.

In the program Matthew was right in the middle of the show. The group name was listed as Matthew and the Dream Team, I giggled for the first time in weeks when I saw it. Ray looked at me when he heard me laugh and I could see a slight smile on his face.

When the show started, I was feeling a little anxious, I really wanted to see what Matthew had planned. The tradition with our school was whoever won the talent show did a second performance to end the show. So, everyone practiced two routines just in case they won. I had no idea what to expect from any of the routines, everyone kept it top secret.

As I watched the people perform, I began to wonder how some of them made the cut. Some of the groups seemed very disorganized. There were good ones, but there were also questionable ones. It took about an hour until Matthew showed up on the stage and all the girls went wild. His hair was slicked back with a curl in front. I could see why he needed help, his hair never stayed back no matter how hard he tried. He was wearing a white t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, the tightest black jeans I have ever seen him in and black dress shoes. He looked adorable, this brought the biggest smile to my face, he was too shy to let me see him get ready.

It had appeared to be just him on stage, or at least that is what he was going for, there were a couple of girls lined up behind him. I was sure I had the cheesiest smile when the lights went out and the spotlight focused on him. He had faced away from the crowd and spun around when the music started. He started to sway his hips and the girls lost it. The dancers behind him started swaying their arms and spun out from behind him. When he was singing, I recognized the song, he played it all the time in the car. Most of the time he would sing along and dance as he sung it to me. I would laugh and tell him to pay attention to the road while he kept dancing. My smile grew.

There were four girls that danced around him as he hit all his notes and did a few spins to the Shawn Mendes song, Nervous. I felt it was kind of a Motown sound, it was very catchy and very easy to like. The girls danced perfectly in sync, which the other dance teams had a hard time with. His performance was perfect and I wasn't just saying that. When they finished and bowed without thinking I jumped up and cheered with everyone else.

Matthew and the Dream Team were one of the top three finalists. I don't think I have ever been so excited for a talent show in my life, but I could see the excitement in Matthew's face and it radiated to me. I loved seeing him happy and excited, especially after the last few weeks I have been having.

I think when he was announced the winner I jumped up and screamed in excitement. The moment kind of blurs for me, but he looked over at me and laughed. It was just pure happiness for him. The most I have felt in a while.

He stood in the center of the stage with his four dancers and the music started.

"Wait, wait." He told the crowd and the music stopped, "I am missing something." he said. I saw one of the girls run back stage. A moment later she came out with a stool and placed it in the middle of the stage. "This one is for my lady, and I need her on stage for this." He said into the microphone.