Chapter Nine: What to do

Mateo

Watching your mate in pain was one of the worst things I'd ever experienced in my whole life. Seeing the utter panic in her eyes, the terror that filled her was devastating. Her cries of pain, the fact that she had just been begging up to just let her go. It hurt me to witness her like that, to see that she would rather die than have to live on. I sat still holding her limp head in my hands while the staff finally began to trickle out and the chaos subsided.

"Alpha Mateo," I turned and found myself facing one of the pack doctors. I recognized him but it took me a minute to put my finger on how I knew him.

"I can see you thinking and the answer is that I went to medical school with your brother before he dropped out. My name is Karthan I use to come over to study with him so that's probably how you recognize me." I smiled a little at the memories of how frustrated Samani use to get when he was trying to remember everything from school.

"Anyways we aren't here to discuss the past, I was asked to talk to you a little bit about what's going on with your mate while they move her to a room. I know that you won't want to leave her side, but we need to make sure she is comfortable and properly sedated before you can see her again. So you will stay here while your father and I explain to you exactly what's going on and she is taken where she needs to go." I went to respond but stopped when I realized what he had said.

"Was my Dad in here at some point?" It was then that I began to realize I had blocked out everything except my mate.

"He was one of the main doctors who worked on your mate. You were a little out of it so I know that you probably didn't notice him in here. He knows more about all of your mates injuries than I do, really I am just here in case you freak out to try to keep you contained." I appreciated his honesty and nodded my head in understanding. After waiting a few minutes my Dad walked with a few other med techs who began unhooking my mate from things and attaching new machines.

"Mat, how are you holding up?" Dad asked taking a seat next to me. I sighed running a hand through my hair as I tried to think of what to say.

"I don't know what to tell you, I am distraught. I can't help my mate and she is suffering, she seems terrified of life and I know nothing about her. What am I supposed to do?" With someone I knew who I could trust not to fall apart I allowed my true emotions to show. Tears welled in my eyes though I tried to keep them in but I knew Dad saw them.

"This isn't exactly the way I pictured you would meet your mate, but I am so glad that you found her when you did Mateo. I know it isn't what we all wished for but she is safe and alive because of you and your brother. We can take care of her here, we can make sure that she gets better so that you both can have a good life together." I knew he was right, yet it didn't really make me feel that much better.

They began to roll my mate out of the room and instinctively my body moved to follow her but restraining hands stopped me. For a moment I thought about fighting them trying to free myself from their hold but I quickly reminded myself that I had to let her go. They stayed still for a minute waiting to see if I was really incontrol or if I was trying to trip them up and get free. When they realized I wasn't going to bolt after my mate they relaxed a little in their seats. My father seemed rather proud that I had been able to get a hold of my instincts that quickly and my wolf stood taller at his old Alpha's approval.

"I don't really know how you found her yet Mat, I know she wasn't treated well that much was obvious but what was the place like? Is the Moon Shadow pack really that bad?" Dad asked curiosity getting the better of him. He and Karthan were working on changing out of their bloody surgical outfits and back into their regular hospital wear.