CHAPTER FOUR

I was awaiting for the ceremony to take place- My wedding....

Much to my astonishment the wedding was pretty simple and hurried. I couldn't forget the look on my fathers face when I accepted the proposal for his sake. He was full of remorse and gratitude.

Just days after I accepted to the proposal - three to be exact - I was ushered to the court for a simple marriage in front of the law and the Qazi. I had expected it to be a big affair since he was pretty rich but surprisingly, none of his family were around.

I still had not gotten over the shock, I was simply going with the flow. I felt like a puppet whose strings were pulled by those around her. To be truthful I didn't feel anything, nothing at all -no love, no sadness, no hatred, no depression. It was like some unknown soul had possessed my body. I couldn't recognize my self. Who was this person within me? I had never been like this all my life.The worst question haunting my mind as I signed the papers was -What now?

I had avoided all the conversations that related to 'HIM' until now. So much that I had even refused to see his picture or meet him. Why would I bother? It wasn't like I could change my mind.

My destiny was decided and I was not too pleased with it. Life was being unfair to me and I could not accept what was going on right now.

I couldn't understand why he wanted to save my father by marrying me? He could have simply put my father in jail but he had agreed to marry me in exchange of giving my father his freedom. It was like I was prisioned instead of my father. Not that I would have let him get prisioned. I would never have let it happen. I had  thrown away my life at an unknown man's feet for the sake of my father.

 I never thought that I would ever see myself like this. Crying on my wedding day, I had always dreamt of a fairy tale marriage full of happiness, but this was pretty much the opposite.

  I waited in my chair oblivious to the gloomy atmosphere in the room. It did not look or sound like a bride was getting married or given away. It wasn't the atmosphere where close ones cried or hugged as the bride was given away with surety that the bride would be happy. This was more like someone had passed away. Tears kept flowing down my face as I tried to take in the situation of my life which had completely turned upside down. What I awaited in fear right now was- Would I ever be able to face the person I am married to without hating him? Would I ever be able to ever look at him without detest evident on my face?  I didn't know nor did I want to know right now. I simply did not want to look or converse with him, ever.

OMAR'S POV :

 Guilt keeps nagging me. Had I gone too far this time to get what I want? I know I could have freed the man's charges without all this, I knew that it wasn't his fault entirely. It was someone who he had trusted more than he needed to. I could've gotten him away from the charges without all this but no! I had to get what I wanted being selfish and adamant the way I had always been.

 I knew my parents would never agree to a forced marriage- this sounded like a 'forced' marriage so I had not informed them. I knew the days ahead of me were bound to be difficult. I could see her now as she sat there like a mannequin oblivious to her surroundings. That is when the conscience inside me had spoken. I was a bad guy and she didn't deserve this. I had gotten carried away and this time I had gone too far to get what I want, and I felt horrible about it as I looked at her in this state. I had played with a life and I regretted the person I had become today.

 If only I had tried to marry her using a different way, more humanly. I know I am a beast. A beast with a huge ego. She would have never accepted my proposal and I would never have accepted her rejection. My ego was bigger than the universe and I always get what I desire.

 To say I was spoiled was true and I always went to any height to attain what I want, but this time, looking at her I knew I had crossed the limits. She hated me for sure but the question now was- would she ever accept and forgive me? I knew that deep down I felt like I would do anything for her forgiveness and I didn't even know why.. 

       **********************

EDITED