Chapter Nine

Ada's POV

As soon as I entered my house Sarah stood in front of me. "Ada Elisabeth Knight, this was the last time you cut classes. Am I clear? You not only didn't tell me where you went, you got Lynn to give you a fake slip, and you pulled a totally innocent girl into your mess. I'm done Ada. I told you many times before, that your behaviour would have consequences. I wish you good luck explaining to your team mates why you're suddenly in the classical music class instead of the basketball team." "You can't do that, Sarah, please? I swear I won't do it again. It's just Eve was feeling down..." She cut me off. "No Ada. There is no way you'll get out of this. This is your fault. Don't try telling me some bullshit lie. Eve is a good girl and without you she wouldn't have done this. Now go to your room and make your homework." I walk up to my room, my shoulders hanging down low in defeat. I know Sarah is right and she's just worried about me. I know we always say there's no reason but there is. We just decided to never talk about that night again. It's hard for both of us, even though it might not seem bad for some people. There has been worse. About a month after Sarah found me she made me go back to my mom. Sarah wanted to talk to her. By then I had cut my hair into a faux hawk and got my first tattoo. So, when my mom saw me standing there on her porch she thought Sarah was my girlfriend. My mom wanted to send us away but Sarah insisted on talking to her, so mom let us in. Not long after she was yelling at us saying I was a failure, a dyke, saying I'd end up in hell. Stuff like that, when I couldn't take it anymore I stood up, Sarah tried holding me back but I just ripped my arm out of her grip. I told her I can't stand being in there for just a minute longer. I ran out of my parents' house, running around my home town not knowing where to go. At some time, the sun was already going down, I ended up in front of my ex-girlfriends' door. Tears running down my face, I whipped them away before softly knocking on her door. It's been two months since I talked to her. Two months since she broke my heart, not believing my mom kicked me out. She just thought I never told her and ran away. This is how I ended up on the street, because my own girlfriend didn't believe me and instead of helping me decided it was the best idea to break my heart. I'm glad Sarah found me there and took care of me, but now I'm back. Back at the place where I lost the least bit of hope I had. Lea opened the door, looking at me strangely. I can't blame her. Seeing her ex-girlfriend standing in front of her door, crying. I don't know what I'd do. But I didn't give her time to think. I just ran into her arms hugging her as close to my body as possible. I was small back than barely 5'7 so she was taller than me. I cried on her shoulder not caring about anything until she pushed me back, asking what the hell I'd do there. I said I had another argument with my mother and ran away from Sarah not realising where I had been going. I was still in love with her begging her to just believe me and take me back, but she said it would be too late. She already moved on and I should just go back to Sarah and my mother. She basically kicked me out of her house. I was heartbroken, again. I didn't know what to do with my life. I saw no future, no happy times. All I saw was pain, and the mess my life had become. I walked over to the next store and bought a bottle of honey whiskey. Drinking it straight from the bottle I walked around for a while. When the bottle was nearly empty I ended up on a bridge over the highway that was next to my hometown. I stared down at the cars passing by, thinking that just jumping down would solve all my problems. No mother that hated me. No ex-girlfriend breaking my heart over and over again. No people bulling me just because I love the same gender. I could end all this now. No living with my old demons. I chucked the rest of my Jim Bean and climbed on the fence. Sitting on top of it, holding on to a street lamp and counting the seconds until I jump. And that is how Sarah found me. She threw her arms around my waist, pulling me back on the sidewalk. We just sat there, me sobbing on her shoulder while she just held me. When I calmed down a bit she picked me up and drove home. I'M surprised I still remember every detail of that night I drank a whole bottle of whisky but I guess you never forget your worst moment. Ever since that night Sarah wants me to tell her everything, but I'm a stupid teenager, only thinking about myself.
I walk down to Sarah's office. When she saw me entering her face changed to angry. "I know I'm grounded and should be doing my homework, but I..." I walked over to her and pulled her in a hug. "I'm sorry Sarah. I've been stupid, selfish and irresponsible. I deserve every punishment you have for me." She laughed against my shoulder. "Good, because I have absolutely no motivation to cook tonight." I pulled back smiling at her. "Ok, but prepare for the worst dinner ever." I walked out of her office. "Ada, we all know you can cook better than me." I laugh making my way over to the Kitchen where I found Charley eating a big bowl of chocolate Ice cream.

Eve's POV

This is not what I had planned. I didn't expect her to slap me. Twice. Maybe Adam was right. Maybe Isabel is starting to get abusive. I just never expected it. I didn't want to believe it. I wanted my nice, kind, supporting girlfriend back. But she changed. I'M glad I told her that I needed a break. For a second I thought I wouldn't do it, but then she slapped me. I still can't believe it, but my cheek is still burning. I'm pretty sure there is a red hand mark. I've been lying on my bed for nearly an hour now. Isabel left the house after I went to my room. I could hear her slam the door shut behind her. I think about calling Adam. I grab my phone starring at his contact name for about five minutes before sighing and pressing call. It rang four times before he picked up. "Hey Eve, are you alright?" He asked worriedly. "Yeah, I guess?" I said but the tears streaming down my cheeks betray me. "I'll lose her Adam. I told her I need a break, after she slapped me..." "She did what?" Adam interrupted me. "Nothing it's alright. Really it's okay." I'm not sure if I tried to convince him or myself. Both probably. "Anyways. I told her that we are on a break and walked away to my room. I could hear her slam the door. She was even angrier than yesterday. But it'll be alright, right?" I'm now full on crying. "It will, Eve, it will. And even if Isabel decides that it's over between the both of you, then that's alright. Because she doesn't deserve you, if she throws you away just like that. You're too good for her. You'll be alright. You'll get over her eventually. And then she'll realise what she lost, when you have a way better girlfriend, who treats you right, because you deserve the best and nothing less." Adam tried assuring me. "Thanks Adam. You're so sweet. If you could just be a girl, I'd definitely go out with you. Can't you have a twin sister?" He laughed. "Sorry I was born an only child but you can have my adoptive sister, or well maybe not she's just 16." We joked around a bit until he exclaimed: "Shit, I was cooking, Sarah is going to kill me. Sorry but I have to go." "Goodbye Adam." He hanged up so I just decided to go to bed after I plugged my charger into my phone.