Chapter Sixteen

Isabel's POV

Why did I let her kiss me? Why did I kiss back? Ugh...This is so frustrating. I'm sitting here on my bed, my heart beating so hard it's about to jump out of my chest. Tears in my eyes and this tingling feeling still on my lips. Fur fucks sake I shouldn't have kissed her. But it felt so good. Her sweet lips on mine. Her hands caressing my face. She made me forget everything for a while. When I'm with her I forget about my dad, my mom, I even forget myself for a while. I forget who I became. When I'm with her I'm myself again. The Isabel I was before that horrible night. I'm carefree, happy, I'm confident in myself. When I'm with Charley I feel safe. When I'm with her I can see a future again. Never in my life have I seen that. I never believed that I'd be older than twenty. With Charley, I can see myself growing old. But before that I'd have to leave her. Only for a while. I have to go back to therapy and finally defeat my demons. I have to fight whatever my father made out of me. I can't continue living like this and treat girls like...yeah like I did. And when I'm done with therapy I'll go to college and study and when I made something out of myself than I can go and see if Charley still wants me. I won't tell her to wait for me. She should be happy and if someone else makes her happy then so be it. My thoughts are a big mess, but I'm trying to get them in the right order. Not falling over each other inside my head.

I decide that it's enough and get up off the bed. I dried my tears and walk down to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. But I stop in the doorframe when I see what is in front of me. Charley is sitting on the floor, her back against the counter and a nearly empty bottle of whiskey in her hand. Tears are running down her pretty face. "What are you doing?" I ask, I can't believe that she's drinking whiskey straight from a bottle. "What does it look like?" She shot back and took a big gulp from the bottle. I walk over taking the bottle out of her hand and drowning the rest into the sink. "I don't care, there's another bottle in the fridge." She tried to get up but tripped over her own feet. She would have fallen but I instinctively catch her. "Let me go, I don't need you!" She slurred. "Please Charley, let me help you." "No...I don't need your help. I don't need anything from you." Charley ripped her arm out of my grip and fell to the floor, sobs coming from her small, fragile body. I picked her up bridal style not caring about her protest. She hit me, but it was only a light slap to my chest, since the alcohol made her weak. I carried her upstairs and to her room. I've been there once, but only for a few minutes, before we went to the mall. This is why I thought that I knew the house, but I couldn't remember why. I laid a sobbing and drunk Charley on her bed and walked to her closet to get some comfortable clothes for the night. I quickly changed her, since she was so drunk she couldn't do it herself. Then I wanted to leave her alone but as soon as I turned around she grabbed my shirt and whispered "Stay." I stood there with my back turned to her. "I...I can't." I chocked out. I wanted nothing more than just crawl under the covers with her and hug her body close to mine. But I can't. "Please." She whispered. Her voice is chocked and broken. I sighed, turned around and sat down on her bed. "We could be friends, you know? Please, just let me be your friend." I looked down at her bed. "I don't want to be your friend." The words were out before I could hold the back, and I could see the pain in her eyes, even though she tried to hide it. "I..." I looked back down. "I want to be so much more than just your friend. I want to hug you. I want to kiss you. I want to tell you how beautiful you are and that you deserve the world. I want to be your everything. But I can't. Because I don't trust myself." Tears started to form in my eyes but she wiped them away and lifted my head up to look into my eyes. "But I trust you. I know what I'm risking. And I'm willing to risk it all. Yes, there is a chance that you'll do it again, but I trust you and I believe that you can overcome this." "I will try my best, with therapy and everything. But I don't want you to wait for me. I don't want you to just stand there and watch your life move past you while you're waiting for me. I want you to live your life." "You are my life." I shook my head. "No, I'm not. I just one tiny piece of your life. And maybe I'll come back and still fit in your life, but if I don't or if you find someone else I want you to move on and be happy." "But can't we just try to be friends?" I sighed. She won't remember this anyway. "Okay let's try, but..." "Nope, no buts." She interrupted me, pulling me into a hug. I laid there on her bed, wrapping my arms around the fragile girl. She buried her head in my chest and I buried my face in her hair. She smelled so good. Like a mix of lime and mint. I just hold her in my arms while we both drift off to sleep.