Chapter 1

“I’m sorry Isabel, but you have to stay in the hospital until further notice. You can’t take care of your daughter anymore, somebody else has to.” my mom’s doctor said to her. I ran over to my mom and hugged her tightly as she hugged me back. I cried into her shoulder.

“I don’t want anyone to take care of me, mom.” I said to her.

“I know sweetheart, i’m sorry this happened.” she said. “But you have to go.... I swore to myself I would never contact this man again in my life....” she mumbled.

“I would suggest calling a relative, maybe?” the doctor told her.

“No, we don’t have any. The only person is her father...” she said to me. My head snapped up. My mother never mentioned anything about my father. “Abriella honey, why don’t you go get something from the cafeteria, you haven’t eaten all day.” my mother said to me, key for ‘Get out.’ I nodded to her as I took my bag and left to go downstairs to the cafeteria while she talked to her doctor.

When I got down to the cafeteria I went to the in building Starbucks Coffee and grabbed myself a Mocha Cookie Crumble frappacino and a croissant and sat at a table to eat and think. I ate slowly, not believing what I just heard. She said something about my father, which she never did. On fathers day, she would just sit around and mope all day. She’d barely watch TV, too, except I wouldn’t know why she wouldn’t watch that.

I wondered what he was like, if he would be accepting about me or not. If he hasn’t bothered to contact me yet, though, he probably doesn’t care and isn’t accepting clearly because he hasn’t bothered any. I sighed as I finished the last bits of my food, meaning I would have to go upstairs. I grabbed my drink and went back to the elevator and to my mothers room, who’s door was open ready for me to walk in. I walked in slowly and my mother was already sitting upright waiting for me.

“Clearly, I have a lot of explaining to do. You deserve this. In plain english, your fathers an asshole. The biggest asshole on the planet, actually. He left me after you were born, he said he needed to straighten things up in his life. Turns out, he became this big famous superstar who’s the biggest talent scout in the world, being a judge on American Idol for nine seasons and on The X Factor. But... he lives in England.” she said to me.

“England? Mom, thats so far away from here-”

“I know, babe. But we have no other choice. We have no local family anymore, Abriella. You have to go to England and live with your father. We have no other choice.” she said to me forcefully.

“What about Emily? Couldn’t I live with her family?” I pleaded desperately. Sure, they weren’t the richest people in the world, but she was my best friend. Certainly she and her family would understand my dilemma. I couldn’t just up and leave behind  my best friend and dying mother to live with my absent father on the other side of the world. “Just until I turn 18?”

“I already called them,” my mom sighed. “They can barely afford their three children. They can’t take on another, even if it’s just until you turn 18. You have to go live with your father, it’s our only option. Emily can keep in contact with you via Skype and Facebook and everything.”

“Do I at least get to know who he is? If he’s that famous I wanna know who he is.” I said to her. She sighed.

“Simon Cowell. He’s your father, believe it or not.” she said to me. I almost lost all my breath. Simon fucking Cowell was my father. “Here’s what I want you to do. I want you to go home and pack all of your clothes, your laptop, cellphone, and whatever make-up you want, alright? Call me at this number when you’re done. Pack quickly because someone’s going to pick you up to take you to the airport. Come here.” she said. I went over to my mothers side and hugged her tightly. “I love you, so much baby. If he doesn’t take care of you, please take care of yourself. I know you can.” she said to me as she hugged me. I was hysterical crying by now.

“I love you mom.” I sobbed. The nurse kicked me out and I was left to walk home by myself to go and pack. The house felt strangely empty for some reason. I mean, I was home alone all the time while mom was at work. Its just that it feels like a different kind of empty because of the fact that she might not come back.

My mom had been diagnosed with cancer about five months ago. It wasn’t until now when she had to stay in the hospital. Usually I would just take care of myself and whatnot, but i’m only seventeen, so I guess now the city thinks I need to be with an adult. I practically am one, for christ sakes. But you know, you can’t fool around with the United States Government.

I sighed as I went upstairs to pack my clothes into a suitcase. I was going through some books that I might want to bring with me, when I stumbled upon my old song journal. I looked through it and placed it in my suitcase, buried under my clothes. I packed up my Kindle and my laptop and all of its chargers, along with my phone. Then i finally placed my guitar inside of its case and packed that up. There was no way I was leaving that here. I put my headphones inside of my purse, along with my house keys and my phone and my wallet. I sighed as I looked out the window, watching a big black van pull up in front of the house. I picked up my guitar and my suitcase and dragged them downstairs with me as I skillfully balanced my purse with it, as well.

“Are you Abriella Cowell?” the lady in the fancy skirt and shirt asked me. I nodded. “There’s no need to be afraid of me. I’m Jean, one of your fathers many assistants. I’m here to take you to the airport so you can go to him. Let’s take those, shall we?” she asked me. I nodded as she took my guitar from me and we went outside and placed them all into the van.

“What’s going to happen when I get in England?” I asked her.

“Well, when you get to England, another assistant, most likely his name will be Jerry, will be there to bring you to your new house. Don’t be surprised if your father isn’t there when you get home, he hardly ever is.” she mentioned to me. I nodded to her as we drove silently to the airport. It was going to be a long flight.

Won the rights for this from JustLittleAlyssa, so happy! Dedicated to her because of that =3

-Cassie