Please Don't Look at me That Way

I'm broken,
and I really mean it.

I haven't fully felt anything in so long.

There is a terrible suspicion inside of me that I'm drowning in.

Is this who I've become, because it feels so unfamiliar to speak.

My teeth rot, they can't stand to swallow your cotton candy words, they don't taste sweet anymore, nothing does.

I push everyone away, give up quick, smoke cigarettes while listening to pretty love songs and think "It just doesn't seem worth it.".

I am sick, and I'd just end up infecting you with my lips.

These aren't sweet nothings darling, they burn and crush my heart for reasons I'm not exactly sure of, they make me squirm and itch and I wish to shed my skin because I'm not sure who it is that I am living in.

I don't want to let you in, you'd just end up floating in hollow darkness, you wouldn't want to see that, this isn't what you think it is.

I am not smooth skies and green eyes, I will not bring tranquility into your life.

I'm too complex to be your euphoria that you seem to be eagerly craving, I feel as though I'm not what you think I will be.

And honestly it hurts me as well that I can't be what you need because this hasn't always been me.

So trust me when I say this is what's best for the both of us.