t w e n t y n i n e

Alex's POV

I was afraid to ask my parents about Audrey and what she meant. Being too worried, what if something awful affects this?

But I know I deserved the truth. Just looking at Audrey's eyes yesterday, I know it's something big and shocking, maybe even unexpeted.

I'm still traumatized about our breakup and it was just out of the blue. I honestly thought our relationship would grow strong despite the torturous hell that surrounds us.

But I understand what she's going through and I don't want to push her beyond her uncontrolled limits.

Gathering up all my strength, I scurried down the hallway, and walked confidently as I thought of the words I will be asking.

Knocking on the door, I hitched up my breath, imagining all the reactions my parents would shoot at me like a mistle.

"Come in," A soft pitched voice said from the other side, assuming it's my mother preparing for bed.

I pulled open the door then headed inside with my hands in my pocket. Mom was standing by the fireplace with some tea in her hands as she wore her lily colored silk robe.

Dad was in his striped pajamas, walking aimlessly around the bedroom while looking down at his newspaper, barely sparing me a glance.

Mom's eyes darted towards my direction,"Son, it's past 11, you still have to submit college applications tomorrow," Mom said worriedly.

"I couldn't sleep," I shook my head as my brain quickly thought of a convincing excuse, "Uh, can I hang out here for a while?"

I didn't wait for Mom or Dad's answer. Instead, I sat on the foot of their bed with mg legs propped out on top of each other and my arms resting on the headboard.

Despite my presence, the room remained quiet. All you could hear was the crackling sound of the fireplace across the room, and Dad flipping the pages of the newspaper drastically.

As I stared into space, I counted in my head when was I supposed to ask them about Audrey.

Dad muttered, disgusted, "Oh, the Chandlers are planning to open another company," He seethed. The way he mentioned that family stabbed my heart and ripped into pieces.

Mom bit her lower lip, "Trust me, they couldn't control that much companies," She shook her head, "They'll just sink to the ground like Titanic."

"They have many employees and personel," Dad reasoned, "And their budget for this company is about $100, 000, 000!" His eyes widened as he read one of the lines from the paper.

Mom looked up from her spot of tea, "Should we make our next move?" She creased a brow, the lines in her forehead wrinkling up.

Dad's icy eyes stared at me, "Son, what do you think?" Dad rolled up his newspaper in a flash. Without pity, he threw it into the blazing fire, "Should we engage and stay still?" He looked at me expectingly.

Is this a test? Is what I questioned myself, making eye contact with Mom for assurance but she just looked at me the same way Father did.

What I answered was way out of their league which made their faces go sour and still.

"Why are we so against the Chandlers?" I questioned, acting up all innocent but maintaining the hard tone within my diaphragm, "Why do we have to argue with them so much? It's not going to make a difference when you always one up each other."

As I looked up, Mom choked on her night tea, and Dad sniffled then his body stiffened all suddenly.

My parents had a short conversation using their blue orbs I inherited.