s i x t e e n

{ Tate }

I have never been so happy to get off of a plane. The entire four and a half hour flight, Riley wailed. The lady next to me kept telling me that we weren't bothering her but I couldn't help it feel bad.

Riley stopped crying once we were off the plane and in the car with my Aunt Sarah and Ellie. Ellie was in the back playing with Riley in the carseat.

I looked at the clock on the dash and saw it was afternoon. I hadn't checked my phone all day. I flipped my phone over and saw Ashton's name on the screen,

-messages-

Ashton: [ Good morning Tate.
Have a safe flight. Let me know when
you land ]

[ Good morning, well afternoon.
We landed and are in the car
with Sarah and Ellie ]

-------

"You talking to Ashton?" Sarah questioned and I turned my phone screen off.

"Yeah" I smiled.

"You excited to see him?" She questioned. I sighed.

"I don't think he's gonna be able to come. They've got tour dates pretty packed in" I explained.

"I'm sure he'll be here. He wouldn't want you to be by yourself with Riley during this" she assured me. I nodded and looked out the window.

"Oh, I do have to warn you, your parents are staying at grandma's" Sarah spoke up. My head snapped to her.

"Why?" I begged for an answer.

"I don't know. Jack's staying with your dad's parents. But, if you need to get away for a night, you can come to my house" she offered and my phone buzzed,

-messages-

Ashton: [ Good. How was your flight? How was Riley Roo? ]

[ He cried the whole flight. He just stopped crying when we got in the car.
Ellie's playing with him in the back right now ]

--------

****

We pulled up to my grandparent's house and I got out of the car as I saw the front door open. I turned to see who was walking out and saw my tall, black-haired boyfriend. He jogged over and pulled me into a tight hug. His arms snaked around my waist and mine around his neck and my face in his chest as tears fell. It was almost like our hug when I first saw him after telling him I was pregnant.

Ashton's hand started rubbing my back and he gave me a small squeeze.

"It's all going to be okay" he promised. I nodded and looked up at him with blurry eyes. He bent his head down and kissed me.

I pulled away from Ashton and saw Sarah taking my stuff in and Ellie carrying Riley, who was crying, to me.

"Take it. It's crying" she feared. I laughed and grabbed Riley and immediately handed him to Ashton. Ashton was all smiles with his son.

"I missed you" he cooed and kissed his head before we walked inside.

I walked in and was engulfed by my grandma. When I pulled back, I saw my parents standing there. I didn't have anything to say to them so I went back to Ashton and just wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Let me have the baby" my grandma walked over and peeled Riley away from Ashton. Ashton thanked her and walked me upstairs to my room.

Ashton and I didn't even make it to the bed before I broke down crying. He didn't care though. He sat with me in the middle of the room and let me cry. He knew how close my grandpa and I were.