f o r t y - f i v e

< 2  years later >

{ Tate }

As soon as mine and Ashton's alarms went off, we heard the pattering of feet heading towards our room. Ashton laughed and turned the light on in preparation. Seconds later, our door swung open and our four year old launched onto the bed,

"Mommy! Daddy! We gotta get up!" Riley bounced. I smiled and reached forward, Riley falling into my arms,

"You excited for your first day of preschool?" I asked, kissing his head.

"Mhm" he grinned.

"Alright little dude. Let's get you up and ready then" Ashton pushed the covers off.

The three of us got out of bed. Ashton went downstairs to make breakfast and I took Riley back to his room to get him ready.

I opened Riley's closet and lifted him to my hip so he could help pick his clothes. I had already gotten his jeans out.

"That one" Riley pointed. I quickly grabbed the Ramones shirt, that Ashton insisted Riley needed, then put Riley down to help him change.

"Alrighty, let's go get you breakfast then we will brush your teeth and we will go to school" I smiled. Riley nodded and we went downstairs where Ashton had already put Riley's pancakes on the counter.

"Eat up buddy" Ashton grinned. Riley nodded and grabbed his fork and started eating.

"I'm going to go get dressed then I'll finish getting him ready while you get ready" Ashton kissed me and headed upstairs,

"Can Mommy take a picture of you once we get you all ready?" I asked Riley as I leaned on the counter,

"Mhm and send it to Gwandma and Uncle Jack!" he beamed,

"I promise I'll send it to them" I nodded.

Once Riley had eaten, I made his lunch and took him back upstairs, passing him off to Ashton while I got dressed.

When I was ready, I went downstairs where Emma was talking to Riley and Ashton. She was gonna stay here with Landyn so that Ashton and I could take Riley to his first day. We don't mind taking Landyn but it's Riley's first day and we don't know how he will act once we get him to school.

"I cannot believe you have a kid going to school" she hugged me,

"Oh believe me, I can't either" I groaned, "Okay Ri, let's get your picture then go to school"

We went out on the front porch and Riley put his backpack on and held his stuffed Tigger in his arms. His teacher told us to have the kids bring a stuffed animal. She said it helps with nerves.

"Smile Riles" Ashton grinned behind me as I took his picture,

"Okay. Let's go to school"

****

The whole car ride, Riley was silent. That wasn't a good sign. He was all excited at home but now that we are on the way, I think he's getting nervous.

"You okay baby boy?" I asked, turning to look at him,

"I'm scared" he whispered, hugging Tigger to his chest,

"Don't be scared buddy. You're gonna have so much fun. Then at the end of the day me, mommy, and Landyn will come pick you up" Ashton spoke. Riley just nodded and looked out the window.

Ashton pulled up the the parking lot and pulled into a space. The school Riley's going to is preschool to eighth grade but the preschoolers are the only ones who get to be walked in and not have to wear uniforms.