t w e n t y - o n e

{ Tate }

Mine and Ashton's alarms blared at the same time- 4:30 am. I groaned, as did Ashton, and rolled to see our sleeping 10 month old between us. We had Riley sleep in our bed last night. We just wanted him close.

"It's surgery day" Ashton sighed and sat up, flipping the lamp on. I groaned.

"C'mon baby, let's get up" he spoke, getting out of bed and lining pillows up where he previously laid. I slowly got up and did the same and the two of us entered the bathroom and closed the door.

I pulled my hair up and put on a little makeup while Ashton grabbed clothes from the closet. I love that our closet is in the bathroom. It makes getting ready easy.

Ashton walked in with his black skinny jeans and basic white T-shirt on and running his hand through his hair.

"Morning baby" he croaked as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind.

"Morning" I responded and turned to face him.

"Get dressed. I'm going to go make sure Ri's bag is together then change his diaper" he explained, leaving a kiss on my lips.

I tossed on leggings and a T-shirt, pulling an old hoodie of Ashton's overtop and putting shoes on.

I walked out of the bathroom, into the bright room. Ashton had the main lights on and was already changing Riley. The bags and my purse were on the bed as well. Riley was still asleep too.

I worked my way around the room, grabbing phone chargers and AirPods then sliding them and my MacBook and Ashton's IPad into my purse.

"I put Riley's blankie and lion in the diaper bag. I also tossed a few pacifiers in and a couple of toys" Ashton's voice made me spin around.

"Okay," I breathed. Ashton smiled softly and picked Riley up, holding him close to his chest, and walked over to me.

"He will be okay" he assured me and kissed my forehead. I nodded and pecked his lips before we loaded up in the car.

****

We got to the hospital and got out and opened the back door. Ashton tossed his backpack on his back then got Riley. Riley was now awake but he was kinda lazy. As it's gotten closer to today, Riley hasn't felt too well, which signals to everyone that he needs this surgery.

I put the diaper bag on my back then slung my purse on my shoulder. I immediately grabbed Ashton's hand and we walked in and up to the surgery floor.

"Hi, what's the patient's name?" The desk lady asked as she saw us approaching.

"Riley Fletcher Irwin" I answered as Ashton bounced in his place to keep Riley from crying.

"Okay. And you guys are mom and dad right?" She asked and we nodded.

After we signed a shit load of papers, they took us to a prep room. We got Riley stripped to his diaper and then were forced to step back and watch as they put the IV in, making Riley scream, then drew with a marker on his chest where they were going to cut and put wires. Once the nurses left, it was our little family.

Riley was giggly now that he has drugs pumping through him. He kept looking up at me then dropping his head to my leg, repeating the same action to Ashton who was filming him then posted it on Twitter:

-Twitter-

@ashton5sos: you'd never know he's about to have heart surgery...