t w e n t y - s i x

< February >

{ Tate }

Ashton and I were up bright and early today. Today's a big day. It's Riley's first birthday. We're having a party today with our friends. Luke and Michael's parents are in town so they will be joining us too, along with Calum's sister Mali. Emma wasn't going to make it since she's at home with her family. Our families had to go home but they already did their own thing with Riley while they were here.

I woke up in Ashton's tight hold. My back pressed up against his chest. I moved slowly, causing Ashton to let out a grunt. His grip loosed, allowing me to turn over and face him.

"Wake up babe. It's Riley's birthday" I grinned and put my lips to his. Ashton laughed into the kiss.

I pulled back and his eyes flicked open.

"Give me a minute. You wore me out last night" he smirked. I playfully smacked his arm with a smirk on my own face and got out of the bed.

I walked down to the kitchen, after slipping on one of Ashton's shirts, and began making us coffee while he woke himself up a bit. He and the boys have been in the studio non-stop. I don't think he got home until after midnight last night then he and I stayed up a while.

Ashton dragged in, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind and resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Morning love" his voice rasped.

"Morning" I smiled, slightly turning my head so I could quickly kiss him.

"Mhm, can you believe our little boy is one years old" Ashton spoke, burying his head in my neck.

"I know! It's crazy" I laughed then turned to face him once I poured coffee into the cups.

We just stood there for a little bit before we decided to go wake Riley. We decided we'd start a tradition for birthdays. We'd wake Riley up with a cupcake and candle. So Ashton grabbed the cupcake and lit the candle and we walked into Riley's room.

I flicked on the light and saw Riley standing up already.

"Happy birthday Riley!" Ashton and I grinned and walked over.

"Mama Dada" he bounced.

"Can you blow the candle out?" Ashton asked and demonstrated, then helped him. Riley was all giggles and went to grab the cupcake.

"Oh no. That will be eaten in the kitchen" I laughed, picking Riley up and following Ashton to the kitchen.

As Riley slowly, and I mean slowly, ate his cupcake and drank his milk, Ashton and I sat down to have breakfast before we had to get the house ready for Riley's party.

"Since when has he ever eaten that slow" Ashton laughed as he watched Riley look around the room.

"No clue. But he needs to speed it up because we have stuff to do and you have pizza to pick up" I said.

"I know I know" Ashton sighed, standing and taking our finished plates to the sink then putting them in the dishwasher.

****

We headed out back and started getting ready for Riley's birthday party. It's his first one so Ash and I are making this a big deal as it should be. Ashton and I were setting up and Riley was running around.

"We need a bigger yard. All we got is this gravel shit with a little bit a grass area" Ashton spoke coming next to me.

"I know we want to move, but I think we need to wait until we get Riley's health under control" I turned to him. Ashton nodded and kissed me quickly before walking into the house to grab something.