Chapter-16

MERCURYS POV.

"Angelo, man up! That girl has put a target on our backs!"

The voice belonged to a man I was not familiar with. A voice I shouldn't have to wake up to.

"Damn it Enzo. Keep your voice down." Penny?

I got out of bed, and followed the voices.

They led me to Angelos office.

I pressed my ear to the door.

"You really think I want to get a call from my wife saying that you have a kid?! Much less the fact that you ended a damn treaty over her!"

"Who the hell are you to say anything Enzo?!" This time, it was Angelo yelling.

"I was the underboss! I can say anything I want!"

"Not about my niece." It sounded like Gino stepping in. Is everyone here?

"Yeah, well your niece is going to be the reason we are going to have rifles to our heads. What the hell is the issue?! Just give her back to the Marino's!"

"Enzo! Enough!"

"No! That kid is going to kill us all! We need to get rid of it!"

I shouldn't have come here.

He's right. Whoever he is.

I was too in my head to notice someone walking to the door.

I stumbled a bit as I came face to face with a slightly older than middle aged man.

He had an over all mean looking face, but it wasn't surprising.

Glancing behind him, I could see Angelo looking just as shocked as the rest of us.

I didn't know what to do.

So I turned around, and ran.

"Shit! Mercury!" Angelo called after me.

"Angelo. Let her go. It's for the best." That man said.

I'm assuming he didn't listen, because I heard heavy steps after me as I reached the front door.

  What was I thinking? I came here without even thinking about what Warren would do to them!

"Mercury!" I through open the front door and began to run through the halls, and dash down the steps since it would be my faster option.

  I had gotten to the lobby, and was only feet away from the door.

  Maybe if I just go back to Warren he will stop whatever he is doing to them.

I bolted to that door.

My fingers touched the handle.

Only to be pulled back at the last minute.

  "Let me." I pleaded with Angelo. How the hell did he beat me down here.

"Why the hell would I do that?!"

"Because if I leave then-,"

  "You're not leaving Mercury! That's final! Get it in your head that it's not happening, and that it will never happen!"

Woah.

I had witnessed Angelo yell before, sure. But it was somehow more intense when it was directed towards me.

   My mouth went dry and I slightly backed away from the door.

  Oh. I guess I should probably say something.

"O-ok. Sorry." Is that it? Just ok?

I decided not to ponder my thoughts as I walked back to the stairs.

ANGELOS POV.

  Ugh. Was I too hard on her?

I'm not sure Mercury had ever been speechless in her entire life, but I think I just ended that possible streak.

  "There you are!" Mom ran to Mercury, who had still been silent since the entire thing in the lobby.    "Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" A ghost?

   She shrugged. "I don't think Angelos ever yelled at me before. I've only had one person yell at me before. This is different."

"Mercury, you tried to run away." I defended my yelling.

"If I didn't at least try then it would have been more of reason for Warren to come after you guys!"

   "Angelo, gods sake, just let that bastard child go!" Enzo shouted over all of us.

  You see, Enzo married my fathers sister, Leah, and became the underboss until I took over.

  Which makes him an uncle.

"Enzo, shut up!" I shouted.

"You will not speak to me like that! She wanted to run from her problems!"

I got in his face. "She wasn't running from them. She was running to them."

"Boys! Enough!" Mom and Leah jumped in at the same time. Except we didn't.

He poked Mercury in the shoulder, hard enough for her to stumble back. To make it it worse, it was pretty much the exact spot where she was shot. "This is all on that bastard child!"

I immediately grabbed him by his shirt.

"Touch her again. I fucking dare you to."

I was ready for some damn blood at this point. I didn't care if he was family or not.

"Hey, we all need to calm down!" Gino pushed us both back.

"Enz, let's go have a little talk." Leah ushered him back into the office.

"Mer, why don't you go wait in your room while we figure some of this out, ok?" Mom tried to get her out of this situation.

All of us knew she was too smart to treat like a four year old, even herself. But, she complied, and went to her room.

"Angelo." Enzo said as he walked back in with his wife.

These two were perfect for each other. This mafia was the only thing they cared about besides their son.

My grandparents arranged their marriage. It was a link between two families.

Thank god dad ended that entire process when he married mom.

"I'm not going to apologize for attempted murder." I put my truth right out in the open.

"I wasn't going to ask for it." He seemed a hell of a lot less pissed. Odd.

"How would you feel if I punched your son for no damn reason?" I asked bluntly. He did nothing but clench his jaw. I'm pretty damn pissed.

"Yeah. The only difference is that your son is grown! Not a fifteen year old girl!" I yelled at him.

"Look just- Get her. I suppose we should be formally introduced. If she's apart of this family now, that is." He added smugly.

"She's not a fucking business deal."

"Angelo." Dad warned. Enzo was pretty much like a brother to him. A brother that shoved my daughter.

"Fine."