Escort

Chapter 5

I woke up early the next day. Really early. Hour before dawn cracks early. After 10 minutes of trying to get back to sleep I gave up. I got dressed, grabbed some breakfast, and headed to work.

I changed and hit the treadmill in the workout room. I guess I kind of spaced out because next thing I know my ear buds are being yanked from my ears. I look up and see the team standing there.  I take the time to glare at the culprit, Spike, before speaking.

“Hi. Any particular reason Spike had to steal my ear buds?”

“Had to get your attention somehow,” Spike replied.

“How long have you been here and what is your secret for getting up so early?” asked Ed.

“Um, about an hour and caffeinated beverages. And Spike, there are easier and safer ways to get my attention.”

“Where’s the fun in that?” Spike.

“You’ve been on that treadmill for about an hour?” Ed asked.

“Yeah.”

“You aren’t even breathing that hard.”

“I ran track and cross-country.”

Greg broke in, “You guys can discuss this later. Right now we have to get ready for that escort job today.”

“Who are we escorting?” I asked.

“Lance Osgood.”

“The serial killer who tortured and tore apart 19 women?”

“That’s the one. He’s got a court date.”

“Just checking.”

“You didn’t strike me as the type to scare so easily.” Sam teased.

“I’m not scared I’m just trying to figure out why we need to protect a serial killer.”

“No of us like it, but if he lives to be sentenced then he can be able to pay for what he’s done.” Wordy said.

“Let’s gear up and get going.” Greg commanded.