Hazed

Chapter 10

I woke up that morning and smiled as everything about last night came flooding back. Then I started to worry about where I stood with Spike. Well, that conversation will have to wait until after shift. On that fine note I got up.

When I walked through the doors I saw the guys standing by Winnie’s desk. When they saw me the all cracked a smile. They were up to something.

“What are you idiots grinning at?” I asked hoping they would betray what was about to happen.

No such luck. “Nothing. Just enjoying a lovely morning.”  Wordy replied.

Yeah Wordy, that wouldn’t convince a five-year old, let alone a trained profiler.

I continued to the locker room. A glance around told me Jules wasn’t here yet. I opened my locker and felt something land on head. I looked where it fell and saw a huge tarantula. I screamed, drew my gun, and fired.

The guys came running in to see what happened. Greg looked confused, Spike looked a little panicked, Ed, Sam and Wordy just burst out laughing. I sighed and put down my gun.

“Who would like to explain?”

Wordy obliged. “We thought it would be more appreciated than cream cheese in your boots. We didn’t know you had a slight fear of spiders."

“A slight fear?” Spike burst out. “She shot it. The guy at the store said if I brought it back unharmed I would get my money back.”

I grinned at that. “If it was smaller I would have stepped on it. And consider your inability to get a refund my revenge. It’s better than having me follow you home, memorize your address, and be up a tree outside your house in the morning to snipe you with a paintball gun.”

Spike looked at me. “You wouldn’t.”

“I’ve done it before.”

Ed and Wordy started laughing again. Greg looked at all of us like we were nuts. Then he decided to take control before we got to out of hand. “Ok, you had you fun. Spike get the spider, and let’s leave Thunder to change in peace.

As they walked out the door Jules came in. “Was Spike carrying a dead spider?”

“Yep. That little prank means I’m accepted, right?”

“Yeah. Congratulations. What was your reaction?"

“I screamed and shot the thing. Did you know about this?”

“Nope, and expect to hear some teasing about your reaction for a while. Especially from Ed and Spike.”

“I would go into shock if I didn’t hear a word.”