Alive

Chapter 16

We waited for news on Spike. Jules, Greg, Sam, and Wordy sat in the chairs. Ed leaned against the wall, and I paced. On a good day I don’t have the biggest amount of patience. When I’m under great amount of stress? Forget it I can’t sit still or act civil. So I paced and the team stayed out of my way.

After an hour and a half the doctor came out. “Are you all here for Michelangelo Scarlatti?”

“Yes, how is he?” Greg.

“We got the bullet out. He needs to take a few weeks off work, but he’ll pull through.”

I had to ask. “Can we see him?”

“He’s still a little groggy, but a few minutes won’t hurt. Go down this hall, second to last room on the left.”

I let everyone else go ahead of me as we walked down the hall. I figured if they were ahead of me they wouldn’t see my reaction for the few seconds it would take to regain control.

“Hey buddy. How ya doing?”  Greg asked.

“I feel pretty doped up, but I guess it was better than how I felt earlier.”

“Exactly how long will you be off?” Ed asked.

“Too long in my opinion, but I don’t know any specifics.”

We all hung around talking for another 15 or 20 minutes. Then Ed and Wordy had to go, followed soon after by Greg, Sam, and Jules. I hung back. After I was sure they all were down the hall I walked over and sat on the edge of his bed.

“You ok?” Dumb, I know, but I couldn’t think of anything else.

“I’ve been better, but I’ve also been worse. Are you ok?”

“Why is the guy who just got shot asking me if I’m ok?”

“You looked pretty upset before I blacked out, and not that much better when you came in. “

“I’m fine. It just hurt seeing you hurt.”

“Awww. That’s really sweet.”

I grinned. “Well don’t get to used to it. I’m don’t usually classify as sweet.”

He laughed. Then his face got serious.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m imagining my parents’ reactions when I get home.”

It took me half a second to remember he still lived with his parents. That was all I knew about them. “They not to big on the danger factor, or is it the cop factor?”

“Kind of both. Neither one of them likes the danger factor, but my dad never liked the idea of me being a cop.”

“Wow. That’s gotta be hard.”

“Yeah. But life is hard. You just push through.”

“I have to go if I want to get enough sleep to function tomorrow. I’ll stop by after shift if you haven’t broken out yet.”

“See you tomorrow.”

I leaned in and gave him a long deep kiss. When I pulled back he grinned and waved. I returned the favor before I walked out the door.