Pretty Good Day

Chapter 8

The next day we got a call for shots fired at a local mall. We were going in blind. Witnesses only heard the shots. We had no description of a shooter, no idea how many shooters there are, no idea what kind of gun it was. This was going to require all thinking power. Just what I need because the last thing I want to do is try to figure out just what the hell happened last night.

We spilt at the doors. Greg, Spike, and Jules headed to the security room. Ed, Wordy, Sam, and I headed to the area of the mall where the shots were heard. When we got there we separated to talk to witnesses. For a few minutes we got a whole lot of crazy stories. Then Spike gave us a breakthrough.

“Guys we got security footage showing a young female running from that area. A couple minutes later she’s followed by two very angry looking young gentlemen, one of which is limping.”

“That’s good Spike. Can you give me some identifying markers or what direction they were going in?” Ed asked.

“Yep. Our girl is in a hoodie, our guy that’s limping is in a leather jacket and enough chains to stock a jewelry store, and the other guy is in a white t-shirt with a tattoo. I’m not sure about the girl, but the guys were definitely armed. Looks like .32s. They seemed to be heading west, then up the stairs.”

“Thanks Spike. Thunder, Wordy, you guys head in that direction the rest of us will keep talking to witnesses. In the meantime, Spike figure out what that tattoo is.” Ed commanded.

“On it.” The three of us in unison.

Wordy and I ran up the stairs then cautiously walked down the hall clearing stores as we went. We were almost through when we heard them.

“Please just leave me alone.” A voice. Tired, bitter, scared, and female.

“Boss, we found them.” I whispered.

“Where are you?” Ed asked.

“West end, one floor above you, by the Tim Horton’s. “ Wordy replied.

“We’re on our way. Don’t try anything until we get there.”

“Got it.” We said together.

Jules jumped in, “Guys be careful. Spike got on ID on out tattoo guy. His name is Jason Claybourne, he’s the leader of the Vipers. They’re pretty well known for not fighting fair and carrying a lot of firepower.”

“Thanks Jules.” I said.

When Ed and Sam showed up he put me on Sierra. I nodded and backed up and went around to the back of the shop. The first one I got in my scope was the girl. She looked terrified. Both guys had their guns on her.

“Got eyes. It’s not looking good. Both of the guys have their guns on her. Sounds like Jason wasn’t happy about a breakup.”

“Any tactical options?” Ed asked.

“If you gas them and go in hard and fast I think you’ll make it work.”

“Alright, on my go.”

After a slow count of three they tossed a gas canister in and followed after it. Neither subject had any idea what was happening until they were cuffed. No harm to the hostage or the team. All in all a pretty good day.