Worried

Chapter 7

“What do you want?” I asked a tad impatiently. All I wanted to do was go home.

“I didn’t buy the ‘I’m fine.’” He replied.

“I don’t think anyone did.”

“So you admit that you’re not ok.”

“Maybe I do.”

“You want to talk about it?”

“Not really. But you’ll probably bug me to anyway so if you want you can follow me home, there is no way I’m going anywhere else at the moment.”

“If you’re sure.”

“That statement is rather annoying. If I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t have offered.”

He laughed, nodded, and walked to his car

Not too long after we were in my apartment, Spike on the couch, me curled up on a chair. After a couple minutes of silence Spike asked the unavoidable question.

“So what about today is bugging you so much you keep spacing out?”

“I guess you could call it guilt. I used to catch serial killers, and today I saved one. I feel like of betrayed the victims, both his victims and the victims of all the other killers I’ve been after.”

“Maybe you feel that way because you looked to closely at what you saved. Pull back a bit. You saved a life. That’s what our job is, saving lives. Yeah, it was probably a life that didn’t deserve it, but you still did the right thing.”

“When does it start to feel like the right thing?”

“Probably never. But the team has a saying, ‘Just because you did right doesn’t mean you get to feel right.’”

“That’s a good one. Thanks.”

“No problem, glad I could help.”

“Why did you come after me today?”

“I was worried about you. “

“You were?”

“Yeah, I was. I’m going to head home, but if you need anything call me.”

“Ok. Thanks.”

After he left I just looked at the time. Too late to call Garcia now. But she is going to flip when she hears about this tomorrow.