Chapter 38

An old woman was sitting at a rocking chair. Her eyes closed as the chair moved slightly. The sunlight, coming from the window, illuminated her wrinkled face.

She was so deep in thoughts that she didn't hear someone calling her. Maaji. A woman in early fifties entered the room. When the old woman didn't react, she came near her, Maaji? and shook her arm.

The old woman opened her eyes with a jerk. What happened? She scrunched her eyes, getting accustomed to the sunlight pouring in.

She is not listening to me. Please. Go to her once. A helpless tear trickled down her cheek.

She sighed and got up from the chair. Both the ladies went outside the room and down the stairs. At the end of the corridor, there was a room with its door closed and bolted. The old woman opened the latch and pushed the door.

She stepped inside and looked around. A girl in late thirties was sitting with her back to the bed. She was hugging her knees, keeping her head on her arm. A white bandage was peeking from under her sleeve. At the sound of opening door, she looked up from her position and saw the two ladies.

Nani. With a cry, she got up and rushed towards the old lady. Nani opened her arms and let the girl hug her. She sobbed on her chest.

Nani. She cried again and again. Nani bit her lips, trying to stop her tears seeing the devastating state of her granddaughter.

Anjali. She called her while caressing her hair. Listen to me. She pushed her a little, still holding her close. Anjali whimpered as she looked at her.

Why are you not eating anything since morning?? She asked her as she gently pushed the hair away from her face. You know na you have to take medication also!? Her lips trembled but her voice was calm.

Nani. Chotte ko bula den. Anjali cried. Mein sb kuch kron gi. Bs mere chotte ko bula den. Tears rolled down her eyes uncontrolled. Mere bhai ko bula den Nani. Sirf ap bula skti hai usse. Nani closed her eyes as she broke down in front of him. (Call Chottr. I will do everything. Just call my chotte. Call my brother, Nani. Only you can call him)

Acha. Suno. Mein bulaon gi. Lekin pehle tum khana khao gi. Phir dawai bhi leni hai na. She held her from shoulder and made her sit on the bed. She looked around the room where Arnav's pictures were pasted on the walls. Cuttings from the newspaper, printed photos of him laughing with Anjali. (okay. Listen. I will call him. But first you eat food. You have to take medicines also)

Nahi. Anjali threw away the food Mami brought to her. Ap ne last time bhi yehi kaha tha. She cried. Ap nahi bulati mere chotte ko. Ap gandi ho. She pulled away from her and sat with her back plastered to the wall. (No. You said same last time too. You don't call my chotte. You are bad)

Sub bure ho. Mere chotte ko koi nahi bulata. She shook her head. Then, as if remembering something, she looked towards Nani. (you all are bad. Noone calls my chotte)

Ap ko pata hai? She said, lowering her voice, us din wo aaya tha. Wahan. Hospital mein. Meine dekha tu usse. She giggled. Wo abhi bhi apni Di se pyaar krta hai. Bs wo Shyam ki biwi se nafrat krta hai. She smiled closing her eyes. Us ki rajkumari ne btaya tha mjhe. (you know? He came that day. There. At hospital. He still loves her Di. He just hate Shyam's wife. His princess told me)

Nani looked at Mami, confused.

Wo khawab mein aye thi mere. Choti si. Nazuk si. She was staring at something, smiling. Suddenly her expressions changed. Lekin wo naraaz thi mjhse. Baat nahi kar rhi thi mjhse. She looked confused. (she came in my dream. Small. Delicate. But she was angry with me. Wasn't talking to me)