It's New York, baby, always jacked up

"My names is Henry Turner. I am working for Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group", the male voice on the other end of the line said firmly. W-Walt Disney? My mouth popped open, allowing the cold night air to tighten my lungs.. or was it the fact that the unknown caller from the west coast was working for the dream factory that is Disney?

"Mr Turner, what can I do for you?", I replied trying to sound professional and not like I was freaking out, which I totally was. I couldn't think about a possible reason why someone from Disney was calling me. I had neither stood in contact with them, nor auditioned for anything. I mean, not that I didn't want to, I obviously loved Disney, but Broadway was were I belonged. Maybe they're doing another broadway production of one of their movies?

"First of all, I'm so sorry to interrupt you on such a special night-", he began to explain. Special night? How does he know? "But there's a good reason why I'm calling so late at night, well except for my boss being impatient because we're a little under time pressure", he chuckled lightly, but regained seriousness.

"There's this new project, you might have heard about it, we're doing a life action version of the 1989 classic The Little Mermaid", he continued and I didn't think about interrupting him, but why the hell was he telling me all this? He cleared his throat before answering my silent question, "We want you, Ms Carter, as Ariel."

"WHAT?!", I blurted out, losing all of my professionalism. Me? Ariel? In a movie? For Disney?! I almost got hit by a cab, when I absentmindedly stumbled forwards on the lit up streets of the Big Apple. I felt comfortable there, I was in my element, doing musical theatre, but film? "Why? I mean- how?"

"I understand this must be very surprising for you, but - as ridiculous as it sounds - one of our team members was just at your show, Beautiful, the Carole King Musical", he answered with a chuckle. "She immediately called me as she was so amazed by your performance. She, well we feel like you'd fit our updated version of the role perfectly."

"Wow, I feel honored, incredibly honored", I began to say in a shaky voice, while a shiver ran down my spine. I could believe what he was saying, what hey were proposing: Me, as a disney princess? Me as mermaid? I'm not even a good swimmer! "B-But I didn't even audition, isn't that a little... rash?"

"Of course, you'd have to do a read through before everything's settled, but in consideration of your experience on stage and our let's say limited amount of time, there's not much doubt left", he said almost nervously. "... From our side."

"And this read through-", I said carefully, bouncing up and down from the sidewalk in front of this bar I originally wanted to start my time off in. "- When is it supposed to happen?"

"On Monday", he said uncertainly, followed by a cough and a deep breath. I needed a deep breath too. That's literally the day after tomorrow! "We're looking forward to start filming in June and there's obviously some prep work needed before that, like recording the songs, water training and stuff."

Water training and stuff?

"I know this is a lot to take in at the moment, you'd need to come to LA right away and stay for about six month, so there's probably a lot you need to think about", he said reassuringly. "We just want you to know that we would love to work with you, if you're interested. Are you?"

 Are you?"