3. A Wife?...Rather Not

"So you want me to marry?" Lu Fei looked at his parents with a frown on his handsome face, "all of a sudden, why?"

Mrs. Lu reached for Lu Fei's hand, "you are almost thirty and you are still single, you should start a family soon so that we can see your children before we die."

"Don't say that mom, you are still young so am I," Lu Fei took a deep breath, thinking how to continue. "I'm not ready to get married, I don't even have a girlfriend," he said at the end.

"We will help you," Mrs. Lu took out an envelope from the coffee table and handed it to Lu Fei, "these are the single girls from our social circle, you choose whom you like, I will handle the rest."

"Wow, arranged marriage," Lu Fei said sarcastically, "in the 21st century!"

"Don't break your mom's heart," Mr. Lu snapped at his son, "do what she told you. It is your fault not to find someone until this age, not ours!"

Lu Fei had nothing to say so he nodded reluctantly, and took the envelope to his home to choose his potential wife.

***

Monday

Lu Fei: "What is your criteria for your potential husband?"

Candidate 1: "He needs to be super rich!"

Lu Fei: "..."

Lu Fei wrote "shallow" near the picture of Candidate 1.

Tuesday

Lu Fei: "What do you want to order?"

Candidate 2: "Whatever you want to eat."

Lu Fei: "..."

Lu Fei wrote "sheep" near the picture of Candidate 2.

Wednesday

Lu Fei: "Do you want to work after getting married?"

Candidate 3: "Of course not! My husband should take care of me."

Lu Fei: "..."

Lu Fei wrote "dependent" near the picture of Candidate 3.

Thursday

Candidate 4: "I want to pay the bill."

Lu Fei: Strong and independent, not bad.

Candidate 4: "As you will be my househusband!"

Lu Fei: "..."

Lu Fei wrote "not for me" near the picture of Candidate 4.

Friday

Lu Fei: "Why do you want to marry me?"

Candidate 5: "So that I can use you as a cover while dating my girlfriend."

Lu Fei: "..."

Lu Fei wrote "what was that?" near the picture of Candidate 5.

***

Lu Fei threw his bag on the floor before throwing himself on the sofa. Entire week, he met with all the girls his mother found but he didn't like any of them. He was constantly thinking about Yu Lin during these dinners. Although he didn't want to admit, he missed the waiter as he didn't see him for a week.

He rubbed his eyes with annoyance. For all of his life, he always had control over everything and he liked that. But after meeting with Yu Lin, Lu Fei lost control over himself. The more he wanted to forget the waiter, the more he was drawn to him. His feet kept bringing him to the club in itself. He wasn't sure if he liked the waiter or he just found him interesting, but still he admitted that he missed him during that irritating week.

Would he also notice my absence?

Lu Fei checked the time, 23.15. Maybe if I go now, he started to think again but then shook his head, noticing what he was thinking. He sighed heavily as he was aware that he was losing his grip on his mind as well as his feet.

He turned off the lights when he was done with sighing and went to bed.