7. One Step Closer

Lu Fei was still grinning when he arrived at work.

"Mr. Lu," his secretary rushed to him, "where did you go yesterday? You disappeared suddenly, making Mr. Watanabe puzzled."

Lu Fei stopped walking, he completely forgot about him. "What did you say to him?"

His secretary smiled a little, "I told him that your mother wasn't feeling well so you rushed back home."

Lu Fei smiled back, "good one." Then he went to his office.

As Lu Fei had tons of things to do at work, he couldn't manage to go to the club at his usual time although he wanted to see Yu Lin. It had been only half a day but he missed him a lot.

"Is there anything else?" he asked his secretary through the phone.

"No, that was all," she answered happily, "can we go home now?"

"Sure, don't worry, I will add these extra hours to your bonus. Good night."

"Thank you, Mr. Lu! Good night."

Sending his secretary home and cleaning his table, Lu Fei noticed that the time was already twelve. On Fridays, Yu Lin was working until one a.m so if he hurried he could catch him. Lu Fei grabbed his car keys and wallet before rushing to the parking lot.

In the meantime at the club, Yu Lin realized that he kept looking at Lu Fei's usual spot which was occupied not by Lu Fei but by others. He wondered why he was missing. Is it because I said I need time? Is he giving me privacy to think or is he angry because I ran away? He shook his head, it wasn't a good time to think about him as he was still working.

Yu Lin looked out through the half open door to see if there was anyone. He was done with the work but he was scared to leave the club at one a.m alone. What if the gang was waiting for him in the corner?

Suddenly the door opened wide from outside, making Yu Lin fall on the one who opened it.

"What are you doing?" Lu Fei asked, smirking while looking at the younger who was leaning on his chest.

Yu Lin pulled himself back quickly, "nothing..." How could he say he was checking out because he was scared. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to pick you up."

His heart pounded heavily in his chest, "why?"

"I was worried if those guys decided to come back for you," Lu Fei signed him to come out, "come, I will take you home."

"I can go alone," Yu Lin was too proud to play the damsel-in-distress although he was really touched.

Lu Fei rolled his eyes, "of course you can but I don't want you to do that." He grabbed the younger's backpack and pulled him alongside him by using the backpack. "I'm not touching you so don't make a fuss."

Yu Lin was too startled both by Lu Fei's attentiveness and by the action itself so he couldn't say anything, just letting the older one drag him into his car.

"Put on your seatbelt," Lu Fei told Yu Lin as he was just sitting in the car like a mannequin.

"Mnn," Yu Lin did as he was told.

"Where do you live? I need an address, you know."

Yu Lin kept his silence. He was still reluctant to reveal any personal information to Lu Fei. It was not because he didn't trust Lu Fei... well, he didn't trust him completely, let's say but the main reason was he used to be all alone, so the idea of having someone taking care of him scared him deeply. What if he would leave him as well, like everyone else did?

"You don't trust me," Lu Fei said softly with a sad voice, "just tell me a rough address then."

Yu Lin felt so bad, making Lu Fei sad and maybe also disappointed. He suddenly said the full address, gaining a puzzled look from Lu Fei.

"You didn't have to say the flat no."

"I know but I wanted to say," Yu Lin looked at him reassuringly, "you helped me a lot yet I am always treating you so badly, I am sorry, I just can't help."

Lu Fei froze with the sudden apology. "Hmm... it is OK, I understand..." he mumbled before driving to the address Yu Lin gave.

When they reached the destination, Yu Lin softly asked "can't we be just friends?"

"I'm sorry but I already told you that I don't see you as a friend but you don't have to push yourself, I can gladly give you money either way so that you will be safe."

Yu Lin thought about his reply for a while, then asked "can we at least try to live together without marriage to see if it works... between us?"

Lu Fei smiled happily, "of course, I don't and won't push you to do anything you don't want to."

Yu Lin nodded, "then I will pack."