19. The Proposal

"From the world to the boss!"

"Ha?" Yu Lin was back to reality.

"You are dozing off."

"Sorry, I was thinking about something," he evaded while giving his attention back to the cake he was making.

However, right after he put the cake into the oven, his thoughts were again occupied by Lu Fei. Three weeks passed since Mrs. Lu was hospitalized and Yu Lin was still thinking about the promise he gave to her about marriage. In the first week, he just felt responsible for his word, but the more he thought about marrying Lu Fei, the more he liked the idea. Each day he spent with Lu Fei was making him more in love with him, so why not marry him?

Maybe it is my time to initiate something, he murmured while the plan was already forming in his mind. Three days later was Lu Fei's birthday and they already had a plan to celebrate it with Lu Fei's family, so Yu Lin had to arrange everything in two days.

Simple and special... It would work...

***

Yu Lin lit the candles on the table with shaky hands, then turned off the lights and stood near the door to welcome Lu Fei who came in exactly at the same moment.

"Wow, look at you," was the first thing Lu Fei said, seeing Yu Lin wearing a black suit and a grey shirt, matching with his hair, "I should celebrate my birthday once a month," he said with sparkling eyes.

"Sure, why not," the younger replied teasingly while grabbing Lu Fei's hand and directing him to the table he set in the middle of the cafe. "We have steak and smashed potato, and red wine, hope it is suitable for the sir's taste?"

Lu Fei pulled the younger one for a quick kiss, "this sir wants to start with the dessert."

Chuckling Yu Lin pulled himself back, "don't ruin my plan, be a good birthday boy, then I might serve the dessert at the end."

"Ok, deal," Lu Fei let Yu Lin go and sat down while Yu Lin served dinner. As steak and potato weren't romantic enough to accompany a marriage proposal, Yu Lin decided to wait until the dessert, the real dessert by the way, not himself. So the couple talked about their days alongside the usual flirtation. Being nervous to the very core, Yu Lin had difficulties following the conversation, but thanks to Heaven's, Lu Fei didn't seem to notice it.

After the dinner, Yu Lin took the empty plates into the kitchen and came back with a strawberry cake which had 'love you b-day boy' on it, and there was a single candle burning in the middle. He even sang the Happy Birthday song.

"Make a wish," he said, placing the cake on the middle of the table.

"I already have what I want," Lu Fei said softly, his eyes brimming with love.

"Then give your wish to me," Yu Lin took out the box in his pocket without showing it to Lu Fei.

Lu Fei nodded, "what is your wish?"

Yu Lin took a deep breath, "I am sorry Lu Fei for being self-centered, but I couldn't exclude myself from your present," he said while placing a small purple box with two platinum rings next to the cake, "my wish is that you say yes to my proposal." Then he blew the candle and grabbed the astonished Lu Fei's hand, "will you marry me Lu Fei?"

Words left Lu Fei, he just kept staring at the younger with his eyes wide open.

"Well?" Yu Lin gave him a nervous smile.

"You should already know my answer, babe," Lu Fei took one ring and put on Yu Lin's left ring finger. Then, Yu Lin followed his example and put the other ring on Lu Fei's finger.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Then Lu Fei pulled Yu Lin towards himself to seal the proposal while teasingly saying "I believe I was a really good boy, so can I claim my dessert?"

Yu Lin just laughed slightly as he was too busy nibbling Lu Fei's lips. The unlucky strawberry cake was long forgotten on the table.