Chapter 3

"Where's Sebastion?"

"He went to work already, honey." My grandma says sweetly as she puts some toast in front of me. She goes back to the kitchen and gets another plate of toast, then comes and sits next to me at the old, wooden table.

"I think you should leave."

I choke on my toast and spit it out.

She hands me a glass of water and smiles as a gulp it down.

"I'm sorry grammy, I heard you wrong-" I say chuckling. "What did you say?"

She looks at me knowingly.

"Darling, you didn't hear me wrong, I think you should leave. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you don't have a life here. I can tell. You need to go out and find yourself."

"I-I don't know what to say, Grammy. What about you, an-and Sebastion. He would neve-"

"I'll take care of him. Now, go and pack. You must be gone before he comes back."

She says smiling.

"I don't know what to say, why?"

She sighs and looks out the window.

"I know what it feels like to be locked in my home by someone I love"

She looks at me, tears brimming at her eyes.

"They do it because they care about you-blah blah blah-"

We both chuckle.

"But sometime or another, we're gonna have to live. It's in our nature to be free."

We both nod.

"Now, come on, go get packed and I'll drive you to the border,"

I jump up and kiss her on the cheek before running up the steps, two at a time, and go to pack my clothes.

I only pack necessities, and things that will be easy to take on and off between shifting into my wolf.

And Adrian's sweatshirt.

Other than that, it'll just be me and Hazel.

10 Minutes Later

"Grammy, How much food should I bring?"

"As much as you can carry darling, I don't know where the next pack is."

I stuff some nutri-grain bars and other snacks in my bag before flinging it over my shoulder.

"I think there's one close, I saw some wolves yesterday."

She stops.

"You must be very careful," She says, walking over to me and cupping my face.

"Do not speak unless spoken to, be respectful and polite, and do as you're told. You're a rogue Makada, if you go to the wrong pack, they'll-"

"Kill me. I understand."

She hugs me tightly.

"I love you, babygirl,"

"I love you too Grammy,"

She pulls away, and we look at each other a little longer before we have to leave.

We get in the car, and Grammy starts the engine.

"What do you plan to do once you get to a pack?"

She asks me, still looking at the road as we drive farther and farther away from town.