Chapter 16

"Alpha," I've never heard Aella's voice so hard. "He's here, he came back."

I press my ear harder against the door of Roman's office, trying to hear the whole of their conversation.

A low growl reverberates through the room and I can immediately tell Roman's pissed.

"Where did you find him?" He growls out.

"He was attacking the Luna, sir. In the woods-" Something is crashed against a wall, and I hear a growl again.

"Roman, calm the hell down" I recognize Nolan's voice.

"He's in the cells sir, it will be heavily guarded until you're ready." I hear Aella's approaching steps and I quickly scurry down the hall, hiding in one of the spare rooms nearby.

I wait until her footsteps are long gone before creeping back to the doorway again.

"What the hell are you doing?!?" Nolan's yell is foreign me.

"I'm protecting her!"

"You're protecting yourself!" I hear another thing crash down to the ground and Roman's snarl.

"HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME THAT WAY! I'M PREVENTING HER FROM BEING A TARGET!"

"NO, Roman NO. Listen to me, you're scared of being hurt, you think that doing this will prevent that; will keep her safe. But believe me the only thing that could possibly protect her is her mate."

"YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT?!?"

"I think you do, but I also think you're being a dumbass for thinking that pretending you hate her will solve anything. You're hurting her Roman! You're HURTING her."

I slump down the wall next to the door and hug my knees to my chest. I didn't understand what was going on, who that man was, or what the hell was happening in general.

Sebastian? I mind-linked to him. I didn't expect it to work, but I needed him.

After a few moments I hear his familiar voice, much calmer than our last talk.

Makada. His voice sounds sad, broken even.

Sebastian, I-I'm sorry.

I wait a few minutes before I finally get a response.

So am I.

Will you please come? To this pack? Maybe I'll leave with you...

I barely knew the words that just came out of my mouth. Was I serious? Was I gonna drop everything I ever had with Roman over this one thing? And based on that conversation, maybe he didn't really mean what he said. But maybe he did.

Did he hurt you? I can hear the protective side of my brother come out through his voice.

Makada: No, I just, I just really need you here. Can I send you the coordinates?

SebastianYes, of course, Kada. I'll be there as soon as possible. I love you.

Makada: I love you too I whisper. I only now noticed the tears streaming down my cheeks.

I start to get up from my place on the ground.

"Luna." A familiar voice states. I look to the source and see Aella. Wait, did she just call me Luna?

"Forgive me for the attack this morning-" she starts.

"Aella, what's wrong?" I say softly. I watch as the hard look in her eyes falter briefly, before turning back to stone cold.

"I'm just here to voice my apologies on account of myself and the warriors for not protecting their Luna."
I look at her skeptically. Something is definitely wrong, Aella's my friend, but she's acting like she's never met me before.

"Aella, come here." I say gently, holding my arms out.

"Forgive me Luna, I-" I embrace her tightly, and even tighter when I feel her crumple on me.

"I'm so sorry, I-I j-just h-have't s-seen him in y-years." She sobs.

"Shh, Shh, it's gonna be alright" I coo. "Why don't I get us some hot chocolate, and we find someplace comfortable while you tell me." I say softly.

She nods, wiping her eyes and nose with the back of her hand and shaking with the pressure of her cries.

In a few moments we're both comfortably situated on a plush couch in one of the big living rooms. The door is tightly locked ensuring privacy, and Aella's cries have been reduced to sniffles.

"Alright, now," I sit down next to her, handing her a steaming mug of hot chocolate. "Start from the beginning."

She nods and takes a deep breath.

"That man, in the cells, his name is Fane. And he - he was my mate."