The Move

Scarlet's pov

I cast one last look at our London house as my mom closes the back of the car she had to rent since out little car wasn't going to work for moving our things. Jordan was staring down at her phone screen in the car, not caring that we were leaving and moving to the States, and I knew she was probably going to shoot up through the social status as she does here, or did here rather.

My mom looks weary as she looks at the house and her soft hand touches my arm and I blink and look into her soft light brown eyes. "It's time to go Scar."

I smile softly at her and get into the passenger seat and look down at my calloused hands. Most of the girls here had hated me for my imperfections, my curly dark rose petal red hair, pale skin, and freckles. Thankfully we were leaving it all behind but I would miss my only two friends here. I look at her as she slides into the car and starts the engine, my glasses had slipped down my nose and I took them off, wiping the smears off the lenses. "Are you sure this is the right idea mom?"

My mom gazes at the house, the house my father left us in to move off with some whore. "I hope so." She murmurs, probably thinking I couldn't hear her. "I hope so."

***

It took about sixteen hours to get to our new house and it wasn't as impressive as our London house, but it looked homey. Jordan was passed out and my mom drove a U haul. It feels like everything was moving fast.

Our new home is wedged between two two story houses and a car was already parked in the driveway of our new house. Mom pulls up and Jordan is jerked awake and she looks grossed out by the drool on her chin.

She looks out the window and shrugs. "Our London house was better."

I glare at her, "Well brat, we can't have everything."

She returns my glare with a nasty sneer of her own. She may be all beautiful with her brown hair and blue eyes but she was a serious bitch. "I didn't ask your opinion Scarlet. It's mum who bought the house. She has to live it in." Jordan slid out of the truck, her feet hitting the grass and she sniffs the air and her perfect little nose wrinkles. "It smells funny."

I roll my eyes and follow her out of the truck. The air smells salty like the beach, which makes total sense since we now live in Seaside. The London air was almost metallic but it was familiar and I did like the way the sun danced across my skin.

Mom comes up behind me and I could hear the slight smile in her voice. "It's better than the pictures I saw."

I smile back at her. "Wonder what the schools like. Probably popular people around every corner and couples making out in the halls," I pause. "I'll probably be home sick because of all of that."

Mom gave a soft laugh and Jordan sneers and flounces off to the house. "We should meet the neighbors soon."

My good mood evaporates. I wasn't a big people person, the only people I had let in were my two old friends and they had to shove themselves into my life. It had been startling and unexpected but they had been persistent. "Seriously, the neighbors?" I look over at their peaceful looking house with two cars parked in the driveway. "I'll pass on that mom. You know how I feel about people."

She looks at me with exasperation, "Are you telling me that your going to be a social outcast again? What about Miles and Judy?"

I pretend like I actually was pondering the idea. "Jordan will help with that. Stupid little brat. Also we don't talk about Miles and Judy, they live in London." Jordan and I don't get along. She had terrible grades and a terrible attitude but somehow lots of friends while I was super smart with advanced classes and nobody wanted to be my friend. She was only sixteen but she was a little monster. "I'm too smart and too annoyed to be friends with anyone, you know that."

Mom shook her head and blew a bright red strand out of her face and started walking towards the house. I follow her only out of interest to see the new house and I knew Jordan was probably sprawled out in the biggest room texting someone on her phone, it was a wonder she could speak with how much time she was on that stupid thing.

"You're just not friendly enough. You look like your going to kill someone and with how muscular you are makes you intimidating." Mom said as she opens the front door. I run my fingers across the smooth surface and ignore my bitten down nails. I had been stressing on the way down here, and when I was stressed, I bit my nails down until they bled usually. Or when I was nervous which doesn't happen often.

I run a light finger over the white walls and mom looked pointedly at my hand but I ignored her. The living room looked big with nothing in it but I knew once we put our furniture back, it would be full. She walked up the stairs and I was right, Jordan was on the floor of the master bedroom with her phone in one hand and her fingers twirling her brown hair in the other. Mom rolls her eyes and pushes open the bedroom door that was at the end of the hall and I smile as I survey the room. It's a decent size room and it had a bathroom attached to it.

"I call this room," this room was perfect. I could place my pull up bar in the bathroom doorway and I wouldn't have to share a bathroom with Jordan.

Mom smiles at me. "It's yours but your hauling all of your heavy boxes up the stairs. With all those books, you'll be tired very soon."

I flex my arms and she snorts. "I should be fine mom." I turn to go but before I go I turn back to mom. "Also, make sure you get the big bedroom. Jordan doesn't deserve it."